Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Hi Guys, I have installed kubuntu onto one of my hard discs and it now appears as a boot option. Since changing from a modified BT hub to a directly ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Changing host version

Hi Guys,

I have installed kubuntu onto one of my hard discs and it now appears as a boot option. Since changing from a modified BT hub to a directly connected BT 210 router I can now get most versions of Linux to auto-connect to the Net.This makes me much more interested in converting over to Linux.My question is this :-

How do I change the distro thats on the fixed installation so that Suse becomes the installed version instead?

WILT
    Last edited by oz; 04-07-2010 at 10:40 PM. Reason: spam removal

I'm not sure I understand the question. You want to replace Kubuntu with OpenSuse? You should be able to just overwrite the existing Kubuntu installation when you install Suse.

Just Joined!
    Yes ,

I want to be able to swap the version that's shown in the boot screen to whichever distro I eventually settle on. I liked the Suse version I've booted from CD and would like to install it instead of Kubuntu .
    I am not very knowlegeable regarding boot loaders and I wondered if a kind GURU could talk me through the process of swapping the on-board distro.

WILT
    Last edited by oz; 04-07-2010 at 10:41 PM. Reason: spam removal

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    As I recall OpenSuse is quite good at configuring the bootloader to take into account your Windows install, so it shouldn't be a problem to reinstall the bootloader, GRUB, to the Master Boot Record (MBR).

This guide has a nice picture tutorial for install OpenSuse. It's the GNOME version, but the installer should be the same either way.
    The Perfect Desktop - OpenSUSE 11.2 (GNOME) | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

As I said, you'll just need to select the partitions you have Kubuntu on to install OpenSuse. How did you partition Kubuntu to begin with? The default setup? Or did you create a separate /home partition or anything?

There is a problem dual booting Ubuntu flavor distros and Suse, because the newer Ubuntus use Grub2 and and Suse uses legacy. It is much easier to install Suse first then the Ubuntu flavor so that Ubuntu controls the boot. Once installed run grub-conf in the Ubuntu OS.

Just Joined!
    HELP.

I bit the bullet and ran the Opensuse installation disc.It did indeed show all the option partitions to install to but I was not sure which one contained the Kubuntu installation ,so I chose the largest linux partiton and ran the CD . Every thing went well and it booted up to the open suse desktop.

BUT when I do a restart, instead of having the usual options :-

WINDOWS 98
    WINDOWS XP
    KUBUNTU
    I get :-

Missing Operating System and a frozen computer !!!

I have had to boot from a CD to send this post.

Just Joined!
    Update,

A little bell rang somewhere in the spaghetti that constitutes my memory these days and I ran Fdisk to find that the Suse installation had,indeed, changed the active partition away from C\.

I made C:\ the active partition and I am now back to square one with the original
    boot options available(yes Kubuntu is still there and will boot) but the Suse distro is not evident,so where does one go from here? .

WILT

run grub-conf in the Ubuntu OS

Kbuntu is now controlling the boot and you must tell it to search for Suse, I think

show use fdisk - l

Which OS boot. Which don't?

Just Joined!
    I havn't a clue where grub config is and I wouldn't know how to tell it anything because unlike windows explorer the directory structure is not self evident.

The 3 existing boot options as illustrated in the earlier post all still boot but there is no sign of the newly installed Suse distro. I am just glad I managed to get the computer working again .

The mix of Windows and Linux is very hard to untangle but beginners like me are quite reluctant to throw the baby out with the bath water until we get a functioning
    O.S. that will be a boot option, initially, and then with experience may be become the main.

I rely on the computer for editing and printing my art work and still use elements 1 hence I boot to Win 98 for this and my emails . I do use XP but not a lot strangely.

This is about the third time I have had problems getting the distros sorted to run in parallel .I even changed my router to get around the awful wireless
    problems with linux.

If I have no success this time this time I think I,ll just retrieve my disc space and run "slax" off a CD. as a toy!

WILT

You don't need to know. in Kbuntu

type

sudo grub-conf

or maybe
    sudo grub-config
    or
    sudo grubconfig

I think I use Suse so maybe a Ubuntu user can jump in.

The problem is the Kubuntu uses Grub2 and Suse is still using the legacy.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast