Find the answer to your Linux question:
Who has enough patience to help a noob step by step to install a few basic programs. I have a dedicated server with OS open suse 11.1 32bit(i386)the hosting installed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

A real Noob

Who has enough patience to help a noob step by step to install a few basic programs. I have a dedicated server with OS open suse 11.1 32bit(i386)the hosting installed only the basic inst. with no adons. I need to install the folowing
    Apache
    mysql
    httpd

My knolege goes as far as logging on to the server .
    I used to have fedora and could install useing yum, but this doesn't work with open suse. I would highly apreciate any help I can get in preparing my server for http: use

greets

stardreamer

Just Joined!

RE: a real noob

In open SUSE, the easiest way to add new software is through YaST.
    What desktop are you using - KDE, Gnome, or another one?
    Once I know that, I can give you detailed instructions.

Just Joined!
    Sory, now desktop, I have to do everything from out the comand line. As I said, the hosting installed suse with now adons if I want a desktop, I have to install it myself.
    The server is compleet with all the programs, but I have to install all the programs myself.

Just Joined!
    I'm not sure what you mean when you say the hosting installed SUSE. Usually it is installed from a CD or DVD and the desktop is part of the installation.
    Are you runnning on your own machine or remotely on a hosting service's machine?

Just Joined!
    Remotely on a hosting service's machine.

Access the root login.
    at the #, type in "yast"
    (the left hand panel has a list of administrator functions)
    tab to "software", kb arrow right to get to right-hand panel
    arrow down to install/remove software, press enter on highlight
    this will update repositories (software sources)
    there will be a text input box at the upper left hand
    enter program name, enter
    The rest should follow intuitively

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by stardreamer View Post
    I have a dedicated server with OS open suse 11.1 32bit(i386)the hosting installed only the basic inst. with no adons.
    Normally, at least something like cPanel is an option

Apache
    mysql
    httpd
    Sounds like you are trying to run some kind of web server: I hope that you aren't intending to run a CMS, as in this case, you've probably asked the wrong question. (CMSs can be picky about which versions of things that are running underneath them, and are usually available as a bundle with appropriate versions, and, unless you can convince yourself the versions that you will get this way will work, it is the wrong place to start from.)

I used to have fedora and could install useing yum
    zypper is probably the best long-term solution for a situation like this with a bare machine, but yast has the shallower learning curve and has the advantage that you can use the command-line version (curses-style interface) or the GUI version, and check stuff out easily on your own machine...assuming that you have an own machine running SuSE, of course.

For zypper, have a look at (URL removed)...apparently, I am not allowed to tell you where to get the inside track on zypper, but using a popular search engine with the words zypper, cheat and sheet, will work.

Linux Newbie
    "man zypper" for details. You can bring up a command line browser if you don't have access to a GUI and want to see what packages are available
    "w3m <URL_where_packages_are_located>"
    If w3m is not installed, "zypper in w3m".

Quote Originally Posted by marktime View Post
    For zypper, have a look at (URL removed)...apparently, I am not allowed to tell you where to get the inside track on zypper, but using a popular search engine with the words zypper, cheat and sheet, will work.
    You need to make either 10 or 15 posts before the forum will let you insert hyperlinks.