Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I added a second internal hard drive (/dev/sdb1) to a SuSE Linux system. I chose /home/users/STORAGE as a mount point. If I navigate to /home/users/ and right-click on the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question about drive mounting, 'My Computer' page

Hi,

I added a second internal hard drive (/dev/sdb1) to a SuSE Linux system. I chose /home/users/STORAGE as a mount point. If I navigate to /home/users/ and right-click on the STORAGE directory and choose properties, I can see the amount of free space in the sdb1 partition of the second hard drive. Everything looks as I expected it to.

However, if I choose the 'My Computer' option, click on home from there, which is where /dev/sda1 is mounted) and then navigate to STORAGE, the address bar in Konquerer looks something like this:

sda1:/users/STORAGE

I might not have the format completely right but I do know that sda1 is listed at the beginning of the address. Yet if I copy files into this directory they end up in sdb1. Are there any issues with accessing the directory this way? When I right-click on STORAGE after navigating to /users/ through the My Computer page, the space used/available does not reflect the sdb1 partition.

A second question I have:

On the My Computer page each mount location is shown in the top-right corner. The name of the new internal hard drive I added is displayed as "1TB media." That name is also a link to the mount point. How can I change this to something else?

I would avoid using the My Computer page all together but there are many other people using this system and most of them know no other way to access the directories.

Thanks,

David

1) no problem different path to the same point.

2) I don't think you can rename it (at least not easily). Why not just give the other users a link on the desktop to your new folder. That you can name what ever you like.

Just Joined!
    Good to know about #1.

Re: #2, there are uncontrolled documents, screencaps, etc. that has been circulated with step-by-step instruction using the My Computer page. Even if the links were on the desktop there are some who would likely lose time over them.

Since #1 is okay it shouldn't matter. Thanks!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close