Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have a quick question. I have an application running on a dos box and the log files when trying to open sometimes give an out of memory error. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

out of memory error

Hi,

I have a quick question. I have an application running on a dos box and the log files when trying to open sometimes give an out of memory error. It doesnt affect other functionality on the box though.
    Now I am porting this application to a linux box. What I wanted is how important it is to implement a wrap around for this log. What happens when it exceeds a limit except for trouble viewing that particular file. Another thing I noticed is when i open the file on dos with edit it gives the error whereas with other editors it opens file. Is there some configuration file that maintains this. Please shed some light on how this works.

DOS is 16 bits. Thus can only address 65K memory directly. Some apps can only handle that.

Just Joined!
    I did not quiet understand what you said. I understand dos is 16-bits but what I dont understand is why when other applications are running fine the log file doesnt open and says out of memory. where is the max size specified. the file opens with brief editor but not with edit.
    With reference to this, my other question was how important it is for me to have log file wrap around on my linux box. What happens if the log file exceeds a limit.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    The question probably should be: Are you porting this to Linux directly? Or are you going to run it in a DOS virtual machine? If you are porting it, then memory should not become an issue. If you are running it in DOS in a virtual machine, then you may continue to have this problem since DOS does has 16-bit memory (not file size) limitations. As for why you are having this particular problem, well, you aren't really providing enough information to help much.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Some programs are locked into the 16 bit limitation. Some are not. Brief is not Edit is. It is a limit in the tool not the environment. Some programs take advantage of memory segments to extend address range some do not.

Of course none of this has anything to do about a Linux environment.

The big difference there is that text files in Win/DOS lines end in carriage return linefeed in Linux they end in just a linefeed.