Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am wondering if a 32-bit SUSE Linux can run on a board with 4 / 6 core Westmere-EP processor (intel) and 24 GB RAM. It is perfectly ok ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

32-bit Linux and 24 GB RAM

Hi,

I am wondering if a 32-bit SUSE Linux can run on a board with 4 / 6 core Westmere-EP processor (intel) and 24 GB RAM. It is perfectly ok if it runs and only 4 GB is used and 20 GB go waste. But, the question will it run straight away? Any tricks needs to be played? Or It is impossible?

Best Regards,
    Ramesh.

It will run.
    And with a PAE enabled kernel, you can even use that RAM.
    See here:
    Physical Address Extension - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But what is stopping you from using the 64bit version of suse?
    Then your kernel can utilize the RAM without ..cheap tricks and without the limitation that a process cannot grow beyond 4GB
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Actually 32 bit OS's use a max of 3gig . 1Gig of address space is always reserved for the OS. But yes baring any gross hardware strangeness it should run.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Actually 32 bit OS's use a max of 3gig . 1Gig of address space is always reserved for the OS. But yes baring any gross hardware strangeness it should run.
    Any single *process* will be limited to 3GB, but a 32 bit OS, with PAE enabled, can use all 24GB RAM. This should be a consideration when choosing a PAE/64 bit kernel - do I need a single process to use more RAM, or do I need more RAM available to the OS for more processes.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by bvramesh View Post
    I am wondering if a 32-bit SUSE Linux can run on a board with 4 / 6 core Westmere-EP processor (intel) and 24 GB RAM.
    Yes, it should run, but I would agree with Irithori that you should go with the 64-bit version of OpenSUSE and leave the 32-bit version behind (unless 32-bit is your only option for some reason).
    oz

Just Joined!

It's time to virtualize

It's better use a 64 bit base Linux and virtualize your 32 bit software, you will have it all !!!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    My opinion - 64-bit chip w/ 4GB or more RAM, use 64-bit OS. I am currently running 32-bit Ubuntu on my laptop w/ 4GB RAM, but I am considering upgrading to the 64-bit version. I run 64-bit CentOS on my 2cpu/8core/8GB workstation. Since I use most of that memory, I'm glad I am running 64-bits native.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Currently we use 32-bit Linux on a board with 4GB RAM. We have certain 32-bit Linux drivers (for some additional HW) delivered by a certain vendor and if we upgrade to 64-bit Linux, we need to buy new 64-bit drivers and we want avoid that in the 1st phase of our hardware upgarde. In the next phase, we want to go to 64-bit Linux, 64-bit drivers from the vendor and 64-bit applications.

Just Joined!

why 32 bit ?

Would it not run better with the 64 bit version ? I use the 64 bit on my desktop and it does really nice stuff ( Ubuntu 9.10 ) waiting for the next step 10.04 to hit the web so I can upgrade to it I am also going to 4 gig of ram on my laptop as I use VirtualBox now and then for some things with Windblows XP in it

Quote Originally Posted by lynne14 View Post
    Would it not run better with the 64 bit version ? I use the 64 bit on my desktop and it does really nice stuff ( Ubuntu 9.10 ) waiting for the next step 10.04 to hit the web so I can upgrade to it I am also going to 4 gig of ram on my laptop as I use VirtualBox now and then for some things with Windblows XP in it
    read the post before yours

Quote Originally Posted by bvramesh View Post
    Currently we use 32-bit Linux on a board with 4GB RAM. We have certain 32-bit Linux drivers (for some additional HW) delivered by a certain vendor and if we upgrade to 64-bit Linux, we need to buy new 64-bit drivers and we want avoid that in the 1st phase of our hardware upgarde. In the next phase, we want to go to 64-bit Linux, 64-bit drivers from the vendor and 64-bit applications.