Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi - haven't done linux in some time. Since I'm posting here I'm using openSuSE 11.2 (64 bit). How do I resize an ext4 partition including moving the start address? ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] How do I resize an ext4 partition?

Hi - haven't done linux in some time. Since I'm posting here I'm using openSuSE 11.2 (64 bit).

How do I resize an ext4 partition including moving the start address? Actually what I want to do is extend the partition in front of it but that means first making space between partitions 1 and 2.

As best I can tell resize2fs will resize the partition but not let me move the start addres. And fdisk will run, on say /dev/sda3 (the one I want to resize), but its default display doesn't show a start and end address which leads me to believe that fdisk isn't going to do what I want either.

thanx.

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome!

Gparted can handle ext4 partitions:

GParted -- Features

It's easiest to use it when it's running from a liveCD such as the Parted Magic LiveCD.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thanx Ozar - I'm running KDE - not gnome. Gparted seems to be associated with gnome. Can I use gparted with KDE and if so, how?

thanx - pat

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    It's on the Parted Magic LiveCD and it will run directly from the liveCD. Your KDE system won't be running at all when you are using the Parted Magic disk.
    oz

Using a LiveCD is the best way to resize partitions, this way you're assured none are mounted. Resizing a mounted partition is like changing a tire while driving down the highway.

Just Joined!
    Sorry - it's taking me an iteration or two to even properly conceptualize the problem.

Which, now, is that this is openSUSE 11.2 ruuning inside of VirtualBox running on Windows 7.

That one should resize a partition while booted from off a CD makes sense to me, however what does that mean here where openSUSE is virtualized?

Start VirtualBox with the PartEd Magic ISO mounted in the virtual CDROM. It should boot the VM to the PM desktop and you'll be able to do your resizing.

Just Joined!
    Thanx D-cat. That sounds reasonable - I'll give it a try.

Just Joined!
    Parted Magic was very easy to use and worked perfectly. So I sent them $10 via paypal.

thanx for the help.