Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I started to get an error about repositories recently, when I run Software Management in YaST on my SuSE Linux. The error kept saying `Cannot retrieve repository metadata`. So, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Repository Problem

Hello, I started to get an error about repositories recently, when I run Software Management in YaST on my SuSE Linux. The error kept saying `Cannot retrieve repository metadata`. So, I wrote the following in the terminal to refresh the repositories:

sudo zypper rr 2
    sudo zypper rr 1
    sudo zypper clean -a
    sudo zypper ref

But it deleted the repositories I have. So, I cannot update my software anymore. Also, when I try to add repositories using YaST, the same error message again appears. So, what can I do to fix this? I`m a kind of new user, so I don`t know what to do. Thanks in advance.

Just Joined!
    Show us the output of 'zypper lr -d' (wrap it in tags).

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by someuser View Post
    Show us the output of 'zypper lr -d' (wrap it in tags).
    It says `No repositories defined. Use the 'zypper addrepo' command to add one or more repositories.`, when I write zypper lr -d in the terminal. I tried to add repository, but it kept displaying `failed to download. Cannot retrieve repository metadata` error.

Linux User
    Why not use the yast2 gui?
    Open yast from the menu (or from a terminal using the command 'yast2') and got to:
    software>repositories
    You can now either choose from the public repos or you can add your own repo.
    As a minimum, choose the suse update repo and the packman repo.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by whych View Post
    Why not use the yast2 gui?
    Open yast from the menu (or from a terminal using the command 'yast2') and got to:
    software>repositories
    You can now either choose from the public repos or you can add your own repo.
    As a minimum, choose the suse update repo and the packman repo.
    Well, actually i tried to use yast to add a repository, but it didn't accept the changes, because it said again "failed to download. Cannot retrieve repository metadata". So, it doesn't accept adding repositories if the download is failed. The problem is why I keep getting this same error message? I really don't know. Does someone know how to handle it?

Linux User
    Make sure that the opensuse download repo is not the one giving the problem. Check that the download repo for your version at:
    http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/11.x/repo/oss
    as well as the non-oss repos are enabled and that you can reach them. (You can try the urls in a browser)
    Disable all other repos for now.
    If this still fails, try one of these:
    If you have the dvd, you could try booting from it to see if there is a recovery option in the menu. (I don't know if the latest versions have t his option though.)

The other quick fix is to reinstall but not to format any partitions (especially / and /home)