Find the answer to your Linux question:
My machine dual-boots between openSUSE 11.3 and Windows 7 Pro. I decided to add Mint Linux to the several VM's installed under openSUSE/VirutalBox. Mint installed OK, but running "Guest Additions" ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

BOOTMGR is missing

My machine dual-boots between openSUSE 11.3 and Windows 7 Pro. I decided to add Mint Linux to the several VM's installed under openSUSE/VirutalBox. Mint installed OK, but running "Guest Additions" had no effect and while trying to overcome this obstacle the computer locked up. I couldn't even get to a virtual console - so I used the reset button. After rebooting to Linux, the system was very slow and kludgy, so I rebooted and chose Windows 7 from the GRUB menu and was immediately shown this:

rootnoverify (hd0, 0)
    chainloader +1
    BOOTMGR is missing
    Press CTL-ALT-DEL to restart

I did several reboots to openSUSE before the system ran normally. All four of my VM's are OK (but still cannot get "Guest Additions" to install in Mint).

The "BOOTMGR is missing" is a Windows error, so I tried to restore the boot manager using the directions given in "windows 7 bootmgr is missing HELP!"* posted to the Microsoft Answers forum, but was unable to complete it because the list of operating systems to repair is blank! Maybe this is overwritten by GRUB?

I have no idea how a crash in VirualBox could effect something as low level as the Windows boot manager, GRUB or the master boot record, so I don't even know where to ask for help. Microsoft will blame it on GRUB and I can't find anything relevent in the VirtualBox forums.

So even though it's unlikely to be a GRUB problem, Linux users are probably the only ones who might have a clue as to how to restore my system so it dual-boots?

*Sorry - couldn't include the URL because I have <15 posts in this forum

Just Joined!

[SOLVED] BOOTMGR is missing

I took a chance and made changes to the YaST->System->Boot Loader - crippling GRUB and leaving my machine unbootable!

I thought this might be an opportunity to restore the MS boot manager (using the method mentioned earlier), so I ran the Windows 7 install DVD, selected Repair and - sure enough - now Windows 7 was in the list of OS's to repair!

After booting Windows, I began searching for software to repair GRUB; discovered Super Grub, Super Grub2 and Rescatux - all FOSS boot-strap tools by adrian15. After reading the descriptions on the website, I decided Rescatux was what I needed to make repairs to GRUB.

Super Grub only repairs GRUB - not GRUB2 - and Super Grub2 isn't able to make changes to either GRUB (adrian15 created Rescatux for for that purpose). The purpose of Super Grub2 is to be able to boot into ANY system.

Anyway, the good news is - Rescatux worked! It restored GRUB and I can once again dual-boot to either Linux or Windows. Having a dual-boot system has saved me many times over the years!