Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I am using opensuse 11.1. but i would like to be able to use windows features. i think i should be using wine. witch version of wine should i be ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

finding and instaling wine for opensuse 11.1

I am using opensuse 11.1.
    but i would like to be able to use windows features. i think i should be using wine.
    witch version of wine should i be using and how should i get and install it?
    thanks!
    sajad

Just Joined!
    Hi greyhairweenie..
    Thanks for providing such a wonderfull info on wine.
    I have bookmarked the link

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    No problem. It was the first hit on a Google search for "wine for opensuse 11.1", cut and pasted from your topic heading.

Just Joined!
    @ greyhairweenie,
    I am a newbie on this forum and had been not in touch with linux since more than a year, wud like to request you if you have any good newbie getting started guide on linux in easy language that a layman can also understand...

TIA

I'm sorry, I can't help much with that. I've been working with Unix, and then Linux, for about 25 years, a couple of years after I got my degree in information systems, so I'm not a good judge of what you'd need starting out.

Just Joined!
    No issues G, I thank you for replying quickly..
    I will make a new post on forum for it..
    BDW have fun

Thanks

RE: ... 'witch' version ...
    Written in this way the word means 'an evil and malicious old woman from the past (and not only) practicing black magic & witchcraft'. The other word is 'which' ... Anyway.

RE: WINE
    By installing WINE you make the Linux OS more complex and hence you hinder the performance and spoil the reliability, and besides that your OS becomes more vulnerable to attacks from Internet, Skype, etc.

I don't know what functionality you are looking for, but everything that you can do with WINE, you can do also without WINE.

RE: What is the idea?
    Maybe I am missing something, but you went to linux for most probably you were sick with the 'over 103 000' computer viruses, and the very moment you 'arrive there' you start asking how to make a 'back-door'. Words fail me ...

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by hmahale View Post
    @ greyhairweenie,
    I am a newbie on this forum and had been not in touch with linux since more than a year, wud like to request you if you have any good newbie getting started guide on linux in easy language that a layman can also understand...

TIA

Try googling on the Linux Documentation Project - the guides include "Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide"

Trust your instincts and trust yourself. How?

1. Look for any package in the repository list ... at first, before going to Google.
    2. Don't install packages you don't know what they are doing.
    3. Clean up your computer regularly with Bleachbit and Bleachbit as Administrator.
    4. Do not install more than two browsers, ... and two chat messengers.
    5. Forget about WINE.
    6. Believe in 25% of what you are reading, and 50% of what you are seeing ... installed somewhere.
    7. Take it easy - if you send the OS in the Dimension X - so much the better. The skills you have acquired maybe deserve the efforts ... for restoring the system.
    8. When you don't know what you are doing - drink whiskey or champagne.
    9. You are the Jedi Master of the digital world.

Regards

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast