Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, right now I have Windows 7 and Ubuntu 10.10 installed on my new laptop, and I'm trying to install OpenSuSe as the third. Anyways, when I popped the liveCD ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Trouble when I am trying to set up a Triple-Boot

Hi, right now I have Windows 7 and Ubuntu 10.10 installed on my new laptop, and I'm trying to install OpenSuSe as the third. Anyways, when I popped the liveCD in for OpenSuse, it started up fine, I chose "installation" on the first options screen, then when it got to the partition manager thing, it was going to reformat my two linux partitions (one is being used by ubuntu, the other is untouched for opensuse, both are ext3) and it said it was going to mount C to sdaX (idr the number) and mount D to sdaX.

Is there a way to install OpenSuSe after Ubuntu/Windows without messing with the partitions? Or should I remove Ubuntu and then install OpenSuSe then reinstall Ubuntu afterwards?

Thanks!

Linux Guru
    After selected your time zone, you will get a Suggested Partitioning Screen. If what the installer suggests is not what you want, change it. Click the radio button to the left of Partition Based and click the Create Partition Setup tab at the lower left then click on the Next tab. The next screen is Preparing Hard Disk. You should see at least two options, one would be your disk with its size and other information and a second which is Custom Partitioning. Click the radio button to the left of your hard drive name and click the Next tab.

The next screen should show a number of options. The first is use the entire disk. Below that, you should have a list of all your partitions and you can select whichever one you want. You also have the option on a tab to select create a separate /home partition which is not necessary. Click the Next tab. You should then be back at the original Suggested Partitioning screen. Take a look at it and see if it is showing the correct partition. If you have Ubuntu installed already, you should have a swap partition and do not need to create another. If it isn't right, go through the process again carefully.

Opensuse will probably overwrite your mbr so if you don't want that, when you are at the Live Installation Settings Page, check Booting and the options to select what you want. You should also click on the "Booting" heading (in blue) and get another page with more detailed options.

You can boot Ubuntu and windows from Grub Legacy which Opensuse uses but you will have to modify the Ubuntu entry in menu.lst. Your choice.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the help, I tried to make sure that OpenSuSe wouldn't change my mbr, but it did anyway, and Ubuntu was gone. To fix it I just booted Ubuntu from the CD and switched back to Ubuntu's Grub loader

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Thanks for the help, I tried to make sure that OpenSuSe wouldn't change my mbr, but it did anyway
    That happened to me the first time I installed. Opensuse has a lot more options than most distros and there are several things which need to be changed under Bootloader. Using Ubuntu Grub2 is probably the easier option. Glad you got it working.