Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.

I used to have a sprint data account and broadband usb modem from them. I activated it on Windows. On Ubuntu 9.04, it was immediately recognized and connected without doing anything at all. Worked great, and was totally transparent to the OS. Just another network connection. My wife also used it on her Macbook Pro without any futzing about. Now, when I use my Nexus One Android phone in tethering mode, it works just as simply.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Yes, Verizon is a choice (my provider is Sprint). What it sets, when I select Verizon is #777 (that's ppp on a phone keypad!), let's phone handle authentication. This appears identical to Sprint.

I don't have a phone-as-modem plan, so I haven't tested it.

Something is strange here because I have discovered that the pkg: Mobile Broadband Providers is installed. On the network menu some providers are listed but this menu has never, in my experience, been anything to do with Mobile Broadband. Any MB indicator on either Ubuntu or Fedora has always been an icon on the panel which had a menu item "activate Mobile Broadband" and then it worked. There is no such icon on SUSE and I still cannot get connected.

Scanning "installed packages" I found Mobile Broadband Providers" checked off as being installed but where the rest of the associated software for MB is is anyone's guess. I can't find it.

One thing. I am using 64 bit SUSE 11.4. Do you suppose the "bits" has any thing to do with it?

So until I get it working I'm remaining on Puppy Linux which works flawlessly but has other software limitations.

Maybe if you don't mind, take the trouble to go through the menu process of activating MB and I will try to follow along. Why do the developers do this to people? OH I also went to users to see if some permission to connect was needed but I saw none.

Everyone says that Windows sucks but I am here to say that their connection software is damned easy to work with. I know linux is stuck with "home brew" drivers but even so......

Note to Gumby,

Hey aren't you in that part of Illnois that "time forgot" or did you folks finally get a freeway?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by trailertrash View Post
    Note to Gumby,

Hey aren't you in that part of Illnois that "time forgot" or did you folks finally get a freeway?
    Take the Eisenhower freeway (I290) west from the loop, keep on I88 to Aurora (40 miles), and head south 3-5 miles on Farnsworth/Kirk Road. There you will find Fermi National Laboratory. That's where I am! It's also the home of Scientific Linux, the second most powerful atom-smasher in the world (after CERN), and a lot of really top boffins (technogeeks in British-speak). And as for freeways, I think the Chicago area is only 2nd to Los Angeles in that department!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I had same problems and solved
    there are at least 2 ways to connect laptop to 3G

wvdial method,
    make sure it is installed and you have your wvdial.conf configured for your needs
    the "number" you dial is no phone number but a number (code) to initialize the 3G modem on a mobile phone. I use strictly Nokia and have 4G broadband currently working with my N900 and Nokia C6-01
    both with wvdial AND KNetworkManager GNOME (after completely removing any KDE4 components of KNetworkManager

Google for:

suse starter step2 networkmanager gnome site:blogspot.com

and you find the URL for that perfect and detailed howto - sri I can NOT post URLs yet - missing minimum 15 posts)

the easiest way definitely is wvdial for 3G broadband
    all my a.m. mobile phones have identical configuration in wvdial.conf - except the APN. however I have noticed that APN often is irrelevant.

[Dialer mobile]
    Modem = /dev/ttyACM0
    Baud = 400000000
    Dial Command = ATDT
    Init1 = ATE1
    Init2 = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","your_APN_HERE","",0,0
    FlowControl = CRTSCTS
    Init3 = ATM0
    Phone = *99***1#
    Username = (empty)
    Password = (empty)
    Stupid Mode = 1
    Check Def Route = 1
    above you need to adapt:
    - Dialer mobile = call it your provider for "mobile"
    - your_APN_HERE = insert your mobile ISP APN, usually you find that in your mobile providers website, if unknown simply try "Internet" that works often.
    my above wvdial.conf works for at least 4 mobile providers in the Philippine islands and Cambodia - just change APN

if you have/need a user name and password, then add there, else just leave blank
    3G mobile via phone or USB modem (stick from your ISP) is identified by your SIM (mobile phone) number and thus normally needs no user/pwd

I use HIGH bit rate because 3.5 G uses up to many Mbps and you will want to remove or change the default bit rate dating from old dial up times !

if wvdial mobile 3G works, then you still may want to try GNOME Knetworkmanager as found by a.m. Google search. wvdial always works.

with above configuration name being "mobile"
    in your command line you enter simply

wvdial mobile

then you see your modem output and eventual problems if any
    Ctrl+C will disconnect you.

Good luck