Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I just installed SUSE ver 11.4 (not enterprise) 64bit and could not manage to get connected via Verison mobile broadband. I expected to see the same menu options as are ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

3G Mobile Broadband

I just installed SUSE ver 11.4 (not enterprise) 64bit and could not manage to get connected via Verison mobile broadband. I expected to see the same menu options as are in Fedora and Ubuntu.

Scanning the topics I see that many are of the opinion that the more recent versions of SUSE include 3G but if they do I can't find it.

I downloaded Network Manager 8.0 source and will try that but as I do not have any network in my home to configure will that work?

FYI the USB modem is Novatel 760 via Verison

I think SUSE is the nicest distro there is but, because of where I live (no catv) mobile broadband is my primary connection to the net so I have to find a good distro that supports 3G. I don't care for either Fedora or Ubuntu. Puppy is great but has other limitations.

Does 11.4 support G3? Anyone really know?

Thanks

I cannot answer your questions directly, only give you some general pointers from my experience with this. I'm using Fedora 14, but as long ago as Fedora 4/5/6 I was using a Huawei 3G dongle with my system. I'd not used it for a while (I cancelled the account when I didn't use it) but a friend of mine recently subscribed to the 3G service from 3 in the UK, I plugged that dongle in (into what was then my Fedora 12 laptop, I think) and it came up first time with no additional drivers needed. This also was a Huawei dongle with (brand new and supporting proper 3G speeds). What I'm saying here is that I've experienced some pretty good things with 3G and Linux, this shouldn't be a problem for you either.

Suse 11 has been around for a bit, but it should by now have support for a wide range of 3G devices. And a service like Verizon should also be well supported, it's not like they only have a handful of customers...

You probably don't need to install NetworkManager from source (and you don't need a wireless network of your own to configure it - it manages networks, be they 3G, Ethernet, 802.11n, or whatever). With your distro, it's probably more than good enough to just download the NetworkManager binaries through the package manager.

If anything doesn't work properly, I'd suspect the dongle itself. Have you tried Googling for the product to see what's under the hood - you may find it's a rebranded dongle from someone else, or that it's using an off the shelf chipset. It'd normally work just by plugging in unless its very new - in which case you may have to wait a little while before it's supported.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    The question is whether or not the kernel modules were built with this release. In any case, it isn't a matter or 3g so much as support for USB modems. With the modem plugged into the system, execute these commands and report the output back to us here:

lsusb
    lsmod
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    The question is whether or not the kernel modules were built with this release. In any case, it isn't a matter or 3g so much as support for USB modems. With the modem plugged into the system, execute these commands and report the output back to us here:

lsusb
    lsmod

I'll try it.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff View Post
    I cannot answer your questions directly, only give you some general pointers from my experience with this. I'm using Fedora 14, but as long ago as Fedora 4/5/6 I was using a Huawei 3G dongle with my system. I'd not used it for a while (I cancelled the account when I didn't use it) but a friend of mine recently subscribed to the 3G service from 3 in the UK, I plugged that dongle in (into what was then my Fedora 12 laptop, I think) and it came up first time with no additional drivers needed. This also was a Huawei dongle with (brand new and supporting proper 3G speeds). What I'm saying here is that I've experienced some pretty good things with 3G and Linux, this shouldn't be a problem for you either.

Suse 11 has been around for a bit, but it should by now have support for a wide range of 3G devices. And a service like Verizon should also be well supported, it's not like they only have a handful of customers...

You probably don't need to install NetworkManager from source (and you don't need a wireless network of your own to configure it - it manages networks, be they 3G, Ethernet, 802.11n, or whatever). With your distro, it's probably more than good enough to just download the NetworkManager binaries through the package manager.

If anything doesn't work properly, I'd suspect the dongle itself. Have you tried Googling for the product to see what's under the hood - you may find it's a rebranded dongle from someone else, or that it's using an off the shelf chipset. It'd normally work just by plugging in unless its very new - in which case you may have to wait a little while before it's supported.

With Ubuntu or Fedora I just plug in the modem which is a Novatel 760 (quite common) and click "configure Mobile Broadband" adding only the number to dial and it works. It works in spite of the fact that in no distrobution that I've used, except Puppy linux, is the Novatel USB detected as anything besides a "storage device". Of course I've tried numberous times with Suse 11.4 and the USB modem isn't detected at all. It has to be detected before it has a chance of working. I am very surprised at SUSE. If it were detected as a storage device at least it might work as it does in Ubuntu or Fedora but it will not detect at all. Same with Debian Lenny. No detection as any sort of device.

Do you suppose that because most folks use Mobile Broadband with laptop computers that there is some other laptop specific set of programs I need to install? I use Mobile Broadband on my home desktop as a primary internet access because it's that or dial up because I live in the booties miles and miles from the nearest cable TV system.

Generic drivers are used. I suspect that variations in useability might be seen because of this. I fault Novatel for charging us for their hardware but refusing us their drivers. Someone should sue them about that.

Sigh...

Rant over.

Keep on Truckin' I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by trailertrash View Post
    Do you suppose that because most folks use Mobile Broadband with laptop computers that there is some other laptop specific set of programs I need to install?
    I'd be surprised if there were a package specific to laptops - I suppose there could be something to add support for 3G Modems. Have you searched through the packages in your package manager?
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff View Post
    I'd be surprised if there were a package specific to laptops - I suppose there could be something to add support for 3G Modems. Have you searched through the packages in your package manager?

I am on Ubuntu 11.4 right now. I think what I better do is to find out what those Mobile Broadband packages are and study up on them. I hope that SUSE has a mole on this forum so they get feedback. It seems hard to believe that they would "forget" about Mobile Broadband. That would hardly be a good idea. Perhaps those packages are on their repository for those who want them.

Thanks

Just Joined!
    Afraid I can't help you directly either.

I am running openSUSE 11.4 with xfce on my Dell Inspiron 6400. Since I've also installed KDE, I use Knetworkmanager rather than the Gnome one. When I right-click the networkmanager icon in the tray, I can choose 'Edit Connections', then the 'Mobile Broadband' tab. There I can add/edit a profile based on service provider.

Looks functional to me, although I haven't actually tested it.

Good luck and please post your results!

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the response. On the "select provider" menu did "Verison" appear? If not, when you did your edit what values did you insert? Reason I ask is that it has been only necessary for me to enter the fone number (#777) and the other login information is recorded in the modem.

How did it work?

tt

Just Joined!
    Yes, Verizon is a choice (my provider is Sprint). What it sets, when I select Verizon is #777 (that's ppp on a phone keypad!), let's phone handle authentication. This appears identical to Sprint.

I don't have a phone-as-modem plan, so I haven't tested it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast