Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I am wondering how to mount partition of file system from one Linux box to another. I know how to do it from linux to windows but not sure ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Mounting filessystem

Hi

I am wondering how to mount partition of file system from one Linux box to another. I know how to do it from linux to windows but not sure for example if I have 2 linux boxes named linux and linux2 how to mount filesystem or partition from one to another

Thanks

I am using openSUSE 11.4

You need to use the NFS system. On the server/partition host you put an entry in the /etc/exports file, and on the client/consumer you put an entry in the /etc/fstab file.

If you take a look at the man pages for these files it's all explained. It's really simple, but you probably want to ensure your user and group id (UID and GID) values on both machines match if you're doing this for system areas such as /home directories. You can do this by manually editing the /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow and /etc/group files and renumbering the affected directories, or you can use a UID/GID sharing mechanism such as NIS (also called YP).

It may sound like it's getting a bit complicated, but read the man pages on these - it's pretty easy to get your head around it.

You may also find that (as you're on SuSE) YAST provides a simple interface to it all anyway (although I'm not very familiar with that tool).
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Hi there,

If you don't want to setup a completely NFS server (which is not that hard), you can always mount a filesystem with sshfs.

Cheers

I agree ,both NFS and sshfs are easy to setup. But sshfs depends on fuse file system. I suspect sshfs don't have cache mechanism like NFS. NFS is most tested and widely adopted way to mount remote FS.
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org