Find the answer to your Linux question:
As I stated in this previous discussion /forum/applications/179228-figure-out-package-manager-installed.html (sorry, new user, can't post links yet) I have in my hands a very old, very unsafe, very important computer, connected to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Update an ancient SuSE 8

As I stated in this previous discussion /forum/applications/179228-figure-out-package-manager-installed.html (sorry, new user, can't post links yet) I have in my hands a very old, very unsafe, very important computer, connected to the internet.

I've discovered it's a SuSE 8. Is there a way I can update it without reinstalling everything, with as little downtime as possible?

Linux Guru
    Good luck with that! The link below indicates support for Suse Linux 8.0 ended almost 7 years ago, June 30, 2004. Suse generally supports desktop systems for 2 years, and the Enterprise versions for five years.

End of support for SUSE 8.0 [LWN.net]

Just Joined!
    I know... I mean, it's not mandatory to update it, and I have no responsibility on it, but since everything is on it, there is no backup and it's connected to the internet... I'd be sorry to see everything vanish

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Icovada View Post
    Is there a way I can update it without reinstalling everything, with as little downtime as possible?
    Hello

As indicated by several users in your previous thread about this machine, trying to update it is not recommended. My guess is that you'll wind up with more down time trying to update/upgrade than you would with a fresh install. Good luck with it, either way.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Yeah, I knew it was going to go this way, I just hoped that posting in the Suse section there'd be some other advice. Oh well. It's not my stuff, who cares!

Linux Guru
    Good luck with that! The link below indicates support for Suse Linux 8.0 ended almost 7 years ago, June 30, 2004. Suse generally supports desktop systems for 2 years, and the Enterprise versions for five years.

End of support for SUSE 8.0 [LWN.net]

Just Joined!
    Yeah thank you yancek, I'm not going to do all that! I hoped there was a quick way to "yast2 update" and nothing more

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Icovada View Post
    I hoped there was a quick way to "yast2 update" and nothing more
    I'd recommend having a good system image in place that you can quickly restore if needed before trying to update the current system because it is almost certain to break in a number of ways. Clonezilla works pretty well for creating/restoring system images.
    oz