Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys So I just installed the newest vanilla kernel in openSUSE 11.4 x86_64, which is 2.6.39, and everything is working great, but I was just wondering how I can ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Boot splash and vanilla kernel???

Hey guys

So I just installed the newest vanilla kernel in openSUSE 11.4 x86_64, which is 2.6.39, and everything is working great, but I was just wondering how I can get the default openSUSE boot splash and shutdown splash (or whatever it's called). Honestly, I think that all that code scrolling on the screen when I'm booting and shutting down looks really ugly.

Linux Newbie
    Hello,

The behaviour you describe is, in fact, non-default for SuSe.

Do the following either via yast2 or by editing the file menu.lst in the "grub" directory. On my m/c this is /boot/grub.

Look at the lines that start like "kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.34.8-0.2-desktop root=...." and add splash=silent to the end of the lines.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by voidpointer69 View Post
    Hello,

The behaviour you describe is, in fact, non-default for SuSe.

Do the following either via yast2 or by editing the file menu.lst in the "grub" directory. On my m/c this is /boot/grub.

Look at the lines that start like "kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.34.8-0.2-desktop root=...." and add splash=silent to the end of the lines.
    By looking at the line you told me to check, that is for the desktop kernel. The vanilla kernel is the very basic kernel with no modifications yet and no branding to SuSE. So, the kernel has not been branded with the openSUSE boot splash yet. I have no idea how to get the splash though....

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by goguda View Post
    By looking at the line you told me to check, that is for the desktop kernel. The vanilla kernel is the very basic kernel with no modifications yet and no branding to SuSE. So, the kernel has not been branded with the openSUSE boot splash yet. I have no idea how to get the splash though....
    Usually distros use the initrd for the bootsplash, thus you just have to regenerate the bootsplash, but before doing that I think you should remove the default kernel (using the package manager).

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by dE_logics View Post
    Usually distros use the initrd for the bootsplash, thus you just have to regenerate the bootsplash, but before doing that I think you should remove the default kernel (using the package manager).
    Okay... I can remove the default kernel, but I have no idea how to "regenerate the bootsplash" ... Also, will that get me the "shutdown splash" too?

Linux Newbie
    Oh sorry, I meant initrd (initial ram disk) not bootsplash... so you have to regenerate the initrd.

Looks like opensuse uses Debian initrd tools to generate it. Thus, run your your new kernel and -

mkinitramfs -k $(uname -r) -o /boot/initrd.img-<any text you like>

Also notice, that you gotta name the kernel with the name -

vmlinuz-<any text that you like>

Lastly to fix the grub entry -
    grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

You'll see the entries for your custom kernel.