Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am running openSUSE 11.4 (Xfce) on my Dell Inspiron 6400. I had dnsmasq working fine on 11.3 (only as caching nameserver, no DHCP). I used an external file /etc/my.resolv.conf ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

dnsmasq can't read file

I am running openSUSE 11.4 (Xfce) on my Dell Inspiron 6400.

I had dnsmasq working fine on 11.3 (only as caching nameserver, no DHCP). I used an external file /etc/my.resolv.conf to point it to the google nameservers (since /etc/resolv.conf gets overwritten by DHCP).

After I upgraded to 11.4 I copied the .conf files from backup. So far I haven't been able to get dnsmasq to work as it did before. In /var/log/messages I get

Code:
    dnsmasq[1369]: failed to read /etc/my.resolv.conf: Permission denied

Code:
    ls -l /etc/my.resolv.conf 
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 142 Apr 12 13:16 /etc/my.resolv.conf
    I've tried chowning to dnsmasq (user as which dnsmasq runs), even setting permissions really loose (just as an experiment). No changes.

Will post /etc/dnsmasq.conf if you believe that would help, but obviously it is pointing to /etc/my.resolv.conf (and it's lengthy)

I have seen bugs like this described, but so far as I can tell they are (believed to be) fixed.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Daniel

Just Joined!

Code:
    dnsmasq[1369]: failed to read /etc/my.resolv.conf: Permission denied

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Daniel
    goto Yast
    start "apparmor control panel"
    "set profiles modes" click [configure]
    set dnsmasq mode to "complain"
    click [done] and [done]

and your dnsmasq works as before

A.

Just Joined!
    Thanks!

I collect you have made some progress in understanding apparmor, which obviously I haven't (I never even thought of it).

It is exactly as you say, dnsmasq no longer complains about being unable to read its conf.

Doesn't quite work, but at least now I can proceed to debug that.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by polypagan View Post
    Thanks!

I collect you have made some progress in understanding apparmor, which obviously I haven't (I never even thought of it).

It is exactly as you say, dnsmasq no longer complains about being unable to read its conf.

Doesn't quite work, but at least now I can proceed to debug that.
    I was fighting the problem for some time already and just as you, i got stuck, till some other forum was discussing SMB and NMB problems, and they referred to apparmor, opening apparmor i saw to my joy the dnsmasq entry, i switched it and finally i could get a logfile and do other things that i was used to do before

good luck with the rest of your quest to fine-tune dnsmasq

A.