Find the answer to your Linux question:
I usually make backups of my MySQL databases and web site directories at my local development server in tar.gz file format. I want to ask if it is safe to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Post Saving SQL database & file backups to FAT32 file system, is it safe?

I usually make backups of my MySQL databases and web site directories at my local development server in tar.gz file format. I want to ask if it is safe to save the backup files inside a FAT32 file system on an external USB harddrive ?!

Or is it better to save them inside a Linux partition ?!

(I guess NTFS should always be avoided)

I use OpenSUSE 11.4, thanks.

I would be doing both the things,It depends on size of backup and its contents ,if its too important and small size ( less than 10mb) then back it up at some external hard drive or DVD and also move it Linux and Windows partition.

You can also explore using something like github
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakshmipathi View Post
    I would be doing both the things,It depends on size of backup and its contents ,if its too important and small size ( less than 10mb) then back it up at some external hard drive or DVD and also move it Linux and Windows partition.

You can also explore using something like github
    Thanks. Maybe I should have used different words. I want to ask if it makes a difference if the file system where the backup's file is stored is FAT32 or Ext2/3/4 ?!

I don't want to get into a situation where I cannot restore a file into the Linux OS from the backups stored at a FAT32 partition for example..

yes,that's good question. Normally I have seen files get affected and we have to run commands like "dos2unix" - to make it work on linux system.If you are doing to take a bakup as gzip or bzip2 ..it should not create any issues. You should be able to restore them from FAT to ext FS.

If you have created separated FAT32 partition just for storing backups and then I would suggest you to use ext3,4 instead of FAT. Because ext3,4 are more reliable than FAT or NTFS
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakshmipathi View Post
    yes,that's good question. Normally I have seen files get affected and we have to run commands like "dos2unix" - to make it work on linux system.If you are doing to take a bakup as gzip or bzip2 ..it should not create any issues. You should be able to restore them from FAT to ext FS.

If you have created separated FAT32 partition just for storing backups and then I would suggest you to use ext3,4 instead of FAT. Because ext3,4 are more reliable than FAT or NTFS
    Thanks very much Lakshmipathi. That answers my question well.