Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
The output in your last post indicates that you already have four primary partitions. Do you have any operating system or data on sda3 or sda4. sda1 would be your ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

The output in your last post indicates that you already have four primary partitions. Do you have any operating system or data on sda3 or sda4. sda1 would be your Suse Linux system files and sda2 obviously your swap partition.

If you have no data, on sda3 or sda4 you can select to install to either partition. sda3 is 31GB and more than enough for Ubuntu. The reason you don't see free space is because all of your drive is taken up by the 4 partitions you have.

If you want to install to sda3, left click the mouse button to highlight it in the GParted window. You should then be able to click on the Change button and you will get a new Edit a partition window where you can make the followingselections:

Partition Type Primary
    File System Ext4
    Mount Point /

After doing this, click Ok and you will go back to the previous window where you can verify the selections you made are shown before clicking on Install Now.

If you have further questions, post back.

Just Joined!

Install Ubuntu after suse

Hello
    thanks a lot ...
    I select /dev/sda4 to change,Because sda3 is 3GB.After I click on change,ubuntu give me this window:
    01.jpg

And my selection is shown.Tell me,I do correct way or not?

Just Joined!
    And tell me,in this window for Device for boot loader installation I must select /dev/sda ATA ST9500420AS(500.1 GB) or another?
    02.jpg

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I select /dev/sda4 to change,Because sda3 is 3GB
    Right, I misread the output. Your Edit Partition in the image you posted is correct.

Your Device for Bootloader installation is correct also but you need to understand that it will overwrite the contents of the Master Boot Record that now boots Suse Linux. The Grub2 bootloader of Ubuntu should detect your Suse Linux installation and create an entry in your boot menu to select it also. It depends on what your intentions are. Do you expect to keep Ubuntu or are you just trying it out to see if you like it. Suse Linux uses Grub Legacy and Ubuntu uses Grub2 and they are quite different. You can boot either from the other. If you want to keep Suse Linux Grub Legacy in the mbr to boot Ubuntu, you will need to manually make an entry in its' menu.lst. If you install Ubuntu Grub2 to the mbr, you need to be aware that if you remove it, delete its' partition or format it, you will be unable to boot anything without repairing the mbr. Most of the files used to boot Grub are on the partition where the booting system resides, only a very small part of Grub is in the mbr and it points to that partition. Post back what your intentions are.

Just Joined!
    Thanks a lot...
    I expect after installing Ubuntu,I could boot both of Ubuntu and Suse.Namely could select Suse or Ubuntu (each of them I want) from boot menu after turn on my notebook.

Linux Guru
    If you install Ubuntu to sda4 and put its Grub bootloader in the mbr as you indicated above you planned to do, it should detect Suse Linux installation and put an entry in the boot menu. If something goes wrong and it doesn't and you are only able to boot Ubuntu, it won't be a big problem to fix. One or two simple commands should repair it.

Did you read and understand my last post about the differences in the Grub bootloaders?

Just Joined!
    Hello
    I install Ubuntu according to your guidance.but I can not boot Suse.Just I can boot Ubuntu.this window is shown after I turn on my notebook:
    2.jpg
    After I select Suse linux desktop enterprise 11 sp1 (on /dev/sda1),my notebook hang up and show this datas:
    3.jpg
    Now what am I do,until suse boot too?

Linux Guru
    Open the terminal in Ubuntu under the Applications tab and enter the following:

sudo update-grub
    You should be prompted for your user password, enter it and hit the Enter key and note any messages. It hopefully will show it was successful and you can try to reboot to Suse Linux.

Just Joined!
    Thanks a lot
    This command successfully done on Ubuntu.But Suse don't boot yet.
    Same things Happen (that is told in previous post).
    Please help me what am I do?

Linux Guru
    Run the sudo update-grub command and post the results from the terminal here so we can see the output of the command.

Before doing that, boot into Ubuntu and open the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file and look to see if you have any entry relating to Suse Linux. You could post the menuentry section of the file here. That could be helpful.

You could also try running the command:

sudo os-prober
    If you get a negative result (command not found) you may have to install the os-prober. To do that run:

sudo apt-get install os-prober
    Then run sudo os-prober again and after that run sudo update-grub.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast