Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am having a Compaq Presario V2381TU Laptop with me. I have installed Linux Suse with a dual boot up option. After installation when I login into Linux it detects ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Screen goes blank after the installation of Linux Suse

I am having a Compaq Presario V2381TU Laptop with me. I have installed Linux Suse with a dual boot up option. After installation when I login into Linux it detects hardware and then processes for 1 minutes and after that screen goes blank. I am able to get the terminal but in the terminal also the commands are not working. If i have to poweroff and I write this command after logging in with my id the command doesn't work. I am a new to Linux please firslty help me with the screen going blank issue and then this terminal issue.

Hi and Welcome !

We need a bit more info. Which version of OpenSUSE have you installed? When screen goes blank, press Alt+Ctrl+F3. Does it switch to command line mode? Login there with user_id/password that you created during installation. Execute these commands at prompt :
    Code:
    lspci | grep -i vga
    grep -i driver /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Post output here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

I have a Compaq Presario. You have a chip problem. I could not get Knoppix to work properly without using "Knoppix xmodule = nv". I am Debian now, but this might help you get started. If you get beyond your initial problem, we can discuss getting the proper drivers.

The command above would be a cheatcode entered at Grub startup. You would have to drop the Knoppix of course. The rest should be linux. cmodule might not be right for your system either, but you get my drift.

You probably have NVidia. Find the right cheatcode for your distro.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Dear,

Thanks for the reply.
    I tried the command
    grep -i driver /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Results:
    Driver "kbd"
    Driver "synaptics"
    Driver "mouse"
    Driver "i810"
    And When I tried 1spci | grep -i vga
    Terminal said - command not found
    This is Linux Suse 9.8
    Please recommend next action.

Linux Guru
    And When I tried 1spci | grep -i vga
    You typed the command incorrectly. It is a lower case Letter L not a one: lspci

There is not Suse version 9.8. It goes from 9.3 to 10.0 and they are about 6 years old with no support.

Post the output of uname -a command too.
    Code:
    uname -a
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First