Find the answer to your Linux question:
I a civil engineer and has little experience with computer system. Can any one please explain to me what are these sentences means in the shell file: #PATH setenv PATH ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

the .cshrc file

I a civil engineer and has little experience with computer system. Can any one please explain to me what are these sentences means in the shell file:

#PATH
    setenv PATH .:${PATH}
    setenv PATH /opt/intel/fce/10.1.012/bin:${PATH}
    setenv PATH /opt/intel/idbe/10.1.012/bin:$PATH
    setenv PATH /opt/intel/cce/10.1.012/bin:${PATH}

#LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    #setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /opt/intel/fce/10.1.012/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}
    #setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /opt/intel/cce/10.1.012/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}
    setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /opt/intel/fce/10.1.012/lib
    setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /opt/intel/cce/10.1.012/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}

# LICENSE SPECIFIC
    setenv INTEL_LICENSE_FILE "/opt/intel/fce/10.1.012/licenses:/opt/intel/licenses:${HOME}/intel/licenses:/Users/Shared/Library/Application Support/Intel/Licenses"
    setenv INTEL_LICENSE_FILE "/opt/intel/cce/10.1.012/licenses:/opt/intel/licenses:${HOME}/intel/licenses:/Users/Shared/Library/Application Support/Intel/Licenses:${INTEL_LICENSE_FILE}"

Thanks
    Taiseeeeeeer

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Taiseer View Post
    I a civil engineer and has little experience with computer system. Can any one please explain to me what are these sentences means in the shell file:

#PATH
    setenv PATH .:${PATH}
    setenv PATH /opt/intel/fce/10.1.012/bin:${PATH}
    setenv PATH /opt/intel/idbe/10.1.012/bin:$PATH
    setenv PATH /opt/intel/cce/10.1.012/bin:${PATH}

#LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    #setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /opt/intel/fce/10.1.012/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}
    #setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /opt/intel/cce/10.1.012/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}
    setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /opt/intel/fce/10.1.012/lib
    setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /opt/intel/cce/10.1.012/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}

# LICENSE SPECIFIC
    setenv INTEL_LICENSE_FILE "/opt/intel/fce/10.1.012/licenses:/opt/intel/licenses:${HOME}/intel/licenses:/Users/Shared/Library/Application Support/Intel/Licenses"
    setenv INTEL_LICENSE_FILE "/opt/intel/cce/10.1.012/licenses:/opt/intel/licenses:${HOME}/intel/licenses:/Users/Shared/Library/Application Support/Intel/Licenses:${INTEL_LICENSE_FILE}"

Thanks
    Taiseeeeeeer
    The command "setenv variable_name value" is used to set environment variables with in "csh" or "tcsh" environments.

PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, MAN_PATH, etc are used to specify a list of directories (seperated with the colon, ":") that are to be searched in certain conditions:

"PATH" is used when executing a program, script, etc when the command does not include the path information such as /usr/bin/vmstat.

LD_LIBRARY_PATH is used when searching for "shared/dynamic libraries.

MAN_PATH is used to find the "Manual Pages" when you use the "man" command.

The four "setenv PATH xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" are adding four paths that will be searched for executables before continuing to search those locations already in PATH. (Because the new directory is placed before the ${PATH}. These four paths are (in order of searching):
    • "/opt/intel/cce/10.1.012/bin"
    • "/opt/intel/idbe/10.1.012/bin"
    • "/opt/intel/fce/10.1.012/bin"
    • "." (the current directory which is very poor practice to include)

The "setenv setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH xxxxxxxxxxxxx" are adding paths to search to find shared libraries.

The "setenv setenv INTEL_LICENSE_FILE xxxxxxxxxxxxx" is doing this to define paths to validate the INTEL LICENSE.