Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently take up basic interest in Arabic and discovered Arabic key pad on the INternet. Its a cool thing, I must say. Can anybody transfer some skill of how ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Arabic characters

I recently take up basic interest in Arabic and discovered Arabic key pad on the INternet. Its a cool thing, I must say.

Can anybody transfer some skill of how I can send an arabic script prepared on my computer to my phone?

Thanks

you need to have the Arabic FONTS installed on both devices to make it work
    try to keep all UTF8 for easier global compatibility

Linux User
    Hans51 is correct. UTF-8 is the best. It is a standard code for representing all languages. Almost all Linux software is UTF-8 compatible. If your smartphone is Android, then it can work with UTF-8 as well. And yes, you must install Arabic fonts.

The Gnome and KDE desktops have "language packs" which install fonts, and also options like right-to-left typing in your text editor or terminal emulator. LibreOffice has its own language pack which also gives you fonts and right-to-left typing. Use the software installer that came with your Linux to install these features.

Language packs will often also install Arabic keyboard layouts, and "Input Method" engines. UIM (Uinversal Input Method) and "SCIM" (Smart Common Input Method) may also be installed automatically by your Linux's software installer. This will let you select which language you wish to type with from a menu, or by pressing a keyboard shortcut.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ramin.honary View Post
    Hans51 is correct. UTF-8 is the best. It is a standard code for representing all languages. Almost all Linux software is UTF-8 compatible. If your smartphone is Android, then it can work with UTF-8 as well. And yes, you must install Arabic fonts.

The Gnome and KDE desktops have "language packs" which install fonts, and also options like right-to-left typing in your text editor or terminal emulator. LibreOffice has its own language pack which also gives you fonts and right-to-left typing. Use the software installer that came with your Linux to install these features.

Language packs will often also install Arabic keyboard layouts, and "Input Method" engines. UIM (Uinversal Input Method) and "SCIM" (Smart Common Input Method) may also be installed automatically by your Linux's software installer. This will let you select which language you wish to type with from a menu, or by pressing a keyboard shortcut.
    Thanks for your input on this Arabic script. A short question first. Will Arabic script work on my nokia 2700 model - my interest as of this time is to send the script from my computer to my phone.

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by mhismail View Post
    Thanks for your input on this Arabic script. A short question first. Will Arabic script work on my nokia 2700 model - my interest as of this time is to send the script from my computer to my phone.
    Well, I don't know about Nokia phones very much. I don't think they use Linux OS, so there is a chance UTF-8 is not supported. However, UTF-8 is an industry standard, so most modern devices do support it. I guess the only thing you can do is try to send yourself an e-mail with Arabic script and see if it works.

It is also possible Nokia only allows you to install support for other languages if you pay extra for that service. Even if the phone supports UTF-8, maybe they will charge you money for the Arabic fonts. That is the problem with non-open, non-free operating systems, they can charge you any amount of money for anything, they can even charge you a lot of money for software and services that are very common and inexpensive.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ramin.honary View Post
    Well, I don't know about Nokia phones very much. I don't think they use Linux OS, so there is a chance UTF-8 is not supported. However, UTF-8 is an industry standard, so most modern devices do support it. I guess the only thing you can do is try to send yourself an e-mail with Arabic script and see if it works.

It is also possible Nokia only allows you to install support for other languages if you pay extra for that service. Even if the phone supports UTF-8, maybe they will charge you money for the Arabic fonts. That is the problem with non-open, non-free operating systems, they can charge you any amount of money for anything, they can even charge you a lot of money for software and services that are very common and inexpensive.
    Pls advise my challenge to understand Arabic script issue. A few friends have been sending SMS in arabic script to my NOKIA 2700 and I was able to read those scripts in the SMS sent. I suppose then there is some amount of possibility I can send a prepared arabic script on my notebook and send it to my NOKIA. From there I can SMS to my friends. Can some expert advise me as to this possibility. Thanks.