Find the answer to your Linux question:
we have a executable file we need help with. when the run shell exec command is opened in konquerer and we indicate the application file the program executes just fine. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

executible file, help needed

we have a executable file we need help with. when the run shell exec command is opened in konquerer and we indicate the application file the program executes just fine. we would like the ability to possibly make a shortcut link that will run the command line to exec the file. the file has been selected to be exec. no it does not open on click. any help would be great.

also we would like to start learning linux, any and all about it. got any pointers of where to start. new converts here.

Trusted Penguin
    Do you mean you would like to be able to double-click the file in a file browser (e.g. konqueror) and have the file execute, or do you mean you want to have a shortcut on the desktop, and be able to double-click that to launch it? Or do you mean something else?

Also, does your executable run in a terminal only or does it have a graphical component (gtk/qt, etc.)?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by csm_overseer View Post
    also we would like to start learning linux, any and all about it. got any pointers of where to start. new converts here.
    Hello and welcome to the forums!

The best way to learn about Linux, in my opinion, is to install it and start using it, just like people do with any other operating system. The deeper you dig into it, the more you'll learn. You can read books about Linux if you want, but I'd use them as supplemental learning material.
    oz

I am presently reading a book (which is hard for me to do) titled "Linux Programming - A beginners guide". It specifically lists the various programs for Linux, and what they are most often used for, There is one to create applications, but there is no need to proceed because you are too far from level of understanding. It is an old book. I already accomplished my first task ( a command line arguments calculator). Despite its date you can get it cheap, $20, and it covers the basics very well.