Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Yes, I've downloaded Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Mandriva, but now I have a hardware problem - my DVD-ROM drive has broken, so I can do nothing for now. I'll try install ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Yes, I've downloaded Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Mandriva, but now I have a hardware problem - my DVD-ROM drive has broken, so I can do nothing for now. I'll try install openSUSE 12.1 on my laptop to see if the problem persists. Thanks for help and patience. When I buy a new DVD i'll try maybe Kubuntu 11.10 and continue this thread.

If you happen to have a spare USB drive laying around, you can try Unetbootin.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for reminding me, I've forgot about this option. Never before have done a bootable USB drive, but maybe the time has come. I'll try this.

It's really easy and I agree with Jay, an excellent idea. I have had the best luck in the world with Parted Magic installed via Unetbootin on a USB drive. It seems to support every machine/hardware combo I have thrown at it.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Maybe the problem is in Network manager. I just installed OpenSUSE 12.1 on my laptop and when I activate network "traditionally with ifup" it's ok, but when enable Network manager Yast shows an error "No working network" and the connection is gone.

You may have just found the problem all by yourself. Good detective work.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

Kudos on finding that!
    So the connection keeps working with the "traditional" method?
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    yeah, I'm writing this from my laptop and browsing youtube and some torrents. Installed openSUSE version is 32-bit 12.1. Laptop Toshiba Satellite A300-1MM

So, if you can figure out exactly where the problem exists for you then you can submit a bug report or see if one already exists.
    https://bugzilla.novell.com/index.cgi

Just Joined!
    I'm sorry I didn't post so long time. In the meantime I tried Kubuntu 12.04 x64 Live DVD and the WUSB54GC worked like a charm. Then I reinstalled my openSUSE 12.1 x64 (clean install with formatting /home) and on the network config stage of installation openSUSE recognized my wireless adapter but it wanted a firmware for this device to work correctly. However, I continued with the installation process (all settings by default, i.e traditional method with ifup was activated) and when it's done, I opened Firefox and I have an internet connection. My next step was to change from ifup to Network Manager but!!! Yast showed an "No working network" error just like on my laptop. So I've reverted back to ifup.
    Now I'll try to install that firmware.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast