Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Im new to linux so Im gonna need some help. I just installed a wireless pci network adapter. Its working fine on my windows xp operating system, but not ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to unrar in opensuse 12.1

Hi, Im new to linux so Im gonna need some help. I just installed a wireless pci network adapter. Its working fine on my windows xp operating system, but not on opensuse 12.1. So I downloaded the linux driver off of the manufacturers website and it is a .rar file.... I then downloaded the unrar program for linux on to my flash drive but I dont know how to install it. I tried clicking on the installer package in linux but its not installing. Somebody please help me with this.

Trusted Penguin
    How you install the unrar program depends on the format of the file. Can you list the whole name of the file, or the website where you got it?

Also, are you quite sure that you need the wireless driver? It may be that the Suse kernel already has it. If you are not sure, you can post the make/model/chipset info, etc.

Hello and Welcome!

I agree with atreyu, you may already have the right drivers installed by default.
    Take a look at this page, and post back the requested info:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/wir...tart-here.html
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    How you install the unrar program depends on the format of the file. Can you list the whole name of the file, or the website where you got it?

Also, are you quite sure that you need the wireless driver? It may be that the Suse kernel already has it. If you are not sure, you can post the make/model/chipset info, etc.
    The unrar file is rarlinux-3.9.1.tar. I got it from rarlab. com/rar/rarlinux-3.9.1.tar.gz. The driver cd that came with the filemate pci wireless-n card does not have the linux driver on it although the card supports the linux os. So I had to go on the manufacturers website wintecind. com/support_center/Downloads/index.html] Wintec Industries - Support Center - Downloads & Manuals to download the driver. The driver is a .rar file. The only reason I downloaded this driver was because I was unable to use the card in linux to connect to the internet. My computer is an emachines w3115 with an AMD Sempron 3100 processor and an nVidia nForce 430 chipset.

Trusted Penguin
    The Filemat PCI-N card seems to be based on the
    Code:
    RTL8190P Linux driver version 0.04
       --This driver supports RealTek rtl8190P PCI Wireless LAN NIC
    according to the README supplied with the driver on their website.

I don't see that chipset listed Linux Wireless PCI database, but if you got the vendor/device ID, we could check to be sure.

First do this:

Code:
    lspci |egrep -i 'net|eth'
    My output looks like this (with the bus id in bold):

Code:
    00:12.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II] (rev 74)
    Then run this command, using the bus id returned my the first command. in my case:
    Code:
    # lspci -n -s 00:12.0
    In my case, it returns:
    Code:
    00:12.0 Class 0200: 1106:3065 (rev 74)
    The 1106 is the Vendor ID and the 3065 is the Device ID. Look them up at the above Linux Wireless PCI database.

As to unpacking unrar program, it is tarred up, so you need to use the tar command, which is surely already on your system.

You need to open up a terminal, change dir to where the file is and untar it, e.g.:
    Code:
    cd /path/to/unrar.tar
    tar -xvf unrar.tar
    Post back your results and any questions so far.

Edit: I see the unrar package in the OpenSUSE 12.1 repo. Have you tried YaST or yum or whatever to look for unrar yet?
    Last edited by atreyu; 11-22-2011 at 07:39 PM. Reason: repo