Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, 3 years ago I installed SuSE Linux on my laptop. At the beginning I used DHCP internet connection without any problem. 1 year ago I moved to another ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

problem with DHCP connection

Hi All,

3 years ago I installed SuSE Linux on my laptop. At the beginning I used DHCP internet connection without any problem. 1 year ago I moved to another working place, where I needed to install a VPN client to connect to the internet. In addition, a new version of the kernel was installed to be compatible with the client. Now, I need to use DHCP again, but my system can not access to the network with the DHCP connection. Please help to solve the problem. Which files I need to look into? Thank you in advance.

Graphically:
    YaST > Network Devices > Network Settings

If you are not using network manager (i.e. using traditional ifup), should be under /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-[interface]
    linux user # 503963

Just Joined!
    Hi Scathefire,

Yes, but the problem is that even if the setting to DHCP is properly done in the network configuration setup, the system does not recognize the network. There could be a deeper problem somewhere. I remember that when I switched to VPN some files were manually modified. Now, I can not get back to the original network configuration. What should I do?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    There are a couple of other files to check out, /etc/sysconfig/network/config (which controls settings in netconfig) and /etc/sysconfig/network/dhcp (which control dhcp behavior).

/etc/dhclient.conf maybe another place to check

What sort of error messages are you seeing? If you down the interface and bring it back up? Unable to obtain lease?

Does the machine work fine with a static IP?

What happens if you load a different kernel?
    linux user # 503963

Just Joined!
    The first kernel was deleted. It is not possible to boot from another kernel. Actually, the error is that the Mozilla browser can not open web pages; hence, there is no network connection.

To start to resolve the problem, I have tried to boot from the SuSE Live CD. There is a Windows computer nearby. The network settings in the Windows machine are given as

Physical Address: 00-69-00-0C-56-1D
    IP Address: 10.64.33.205
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.254.0
    Default Gateway: 10.64.32.1
    DHCP Server: 10.64.32.1
    Lease Obtained: 12/25/2011 2:14:06 AM
    Lease Expires: 12/26/2011 2:14:06 AM
    DNS Server: 10.64.32.1
    WINS Server:

Now, after having had booted from the Live CD in the normal manner, I moved to Control Center/Network Connections and created a Wired connection with the parameters:

IPv4 Settings: Manual

Address: 10.64.33.205
    Netmask: 255.255.254.0
    Gateway: 10.64.32.1
    DNS Servers: 10.64.32.1

But, there is no network even with the Live CD, which is very strange because originally the SuSE was installed from the Internet with the Live CD. I do not find the root of the problem. The static addressing with the Live CD should be fine. Is my above SuSE intenet setting correct?

If that windows machine is still online when you did this, it wouldn't work. That would cause an IP conflict. Change it to something like 10.64.33.204 or something else not in use.
    linux user # 503963