Find the answer to your Linux question:
I install suse linux 10.3 into my server with new hard drive. How can i retrieve and transfer data from previous hard drive ?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

suse linux 10.3

I install suse linux 10.3 into my server with new hard drive. How can i retrieve and transfer data from previous hard drive ?

Hello and Welcome!

SUSE 10.3 is almost an antique these days. I would recommend using a newer version.
    12.1 is the most recent version.

Aside from that, if both hard drives are in the same machine, just boot into Linux, and post the output of:
    Code:
    fdisk -a
    Someone should be able to guide you.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Newbie88 View Post
    I install suse linux 10.3 into my server with new hard drive. How can i retrieve and transfer data from previous hard drive ?
    First, man fdisk (brings up manual page for fdisk) for my SuSE 11.4 doesn't show a '-a' option so I wouldn't use it until I knew what it is. This isn't to say the poster was wrong, I just don't recognize the switch.

First, the drive you want to retrieve data from must be installed in a computer. I'll assume it's in the machine with the new installation on the new hard drive. You need to 'mount' the old drive.

I'd go to 'yast' (the setup util) and open the 'partitioner' utility.

Examine the details listed for the drives in your system. You should be able to find that the new drive is mounted as '/' (root). In the same way, you should be able to find either that the old drive is not mounted, or find the location where the old drive IS mounted.

If the old drive is not mounted, you should be able to edit the details of the old drive. I believe there will be a page that will allow formatting and mount point adjustments for the old drive. Obviously, DO NOT FORMAT THE OLD DRIVE. Check the Do Not Format box and then in the other section, specify a mount point. I would suggest a mount point of /media/X or /mnt/X. The media and mount directories are common places to mount drives. The directory 'X' can be any name you want. But before the drive will show up, you need to go to the media or mnt directory and create the 'X' directory.

If the old format of the old drive is acceptable to your OS, then you should be able to see the drive data in the new X directory. You may have to adjust the directory permissions. If the old format of the old drive is NOT acceptable to your OS, you'll get a message to that effect and that's another problem to ask about.

Quote Originally Posted by Newbie88 View Post
    I install suse linux 10.3 into my server

{SNIP}
    Yeah, and 10.3 really is an old version. Possibly old enough to give you hardware headaches. I'd try SuSE 11.4.

12.1 IS the newest version but.....um......how shall I say this....It seems to be a version for people who want their computer screen to look very nice but who don't want to do any real work. If you want to be able to setup your machine to best advantage and really get some work done, I'd recommend 11.4.

This, of course is my own opinion and not the opinion of the producers or directors of this film and should not be relied upon by anyone who doesn't know how to put their own pants on. (Play) (Subtitles) (Trailer) (Bonus Features)