Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello I have had virtualbox installed for some time which was working ok I hadn't used it for a couple of weeks and when I tried to start it VB ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

virtualbox fails to start

hello

I have had virtualbox installed for some time which was working ok I hadn't used it for a couple of weeks and when I tried to start it VB failed to start, got the bouncy icon then nothing. I tried starting it through a terminal and got a segmentation error.

Does anyone know what the problem is or may be and how do I get around it.

thanks for any help.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Did you update your kernel? If so, you may need to reinstall VB.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Thanks Rubberman

I did foolishly update the kernel, vertual box is now working but the kernel module isn't loaded I get the error when starting the vertual machine telling me this and suggesting running /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup which doesn't load the kernel module and returns this #Recompiling VirtualBox vboxadd kernel module, NOT. It has been packaged.

I had this before and managed to sort it out but I'm not sure I'll carry on with Vertual box as I've got Vmware installed and working well.

Just goes to show you shouldn't update a kernel.

Linux Engineer
    No, you have it backwards: Don't trust Oracle.
    You might be able to find a newer/more compatible version of virtual box outside of the repos. 3rd party software is moving too fast these days for repo managers to keep up

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by terpic View Post
    Thanks Rubberman

I did foolishly update the kernel, vertual box is now working but the kernel module isn't loaded I get the error when starting the vertual machine telling me this and suggesting running /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup which doesn't load the kernel module and returns this #Recompiling VirtualBox vboxadd kernel module, NOT. It has been packaged.

I had this before and managed to sort it out but I'm not sure I'll carry on with Vertual box as I've got Vmware installed and working well.

Just goes to show you shouldn't update a kernel.
    This happens to me occasionally after a kernel update. The solution is to reinstall vbox. That has always worked for me. The good thing is that you won't lose any of your VMs or settings.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    I just looked to reinstall virtualbox and opensuse wants to upgrade the kernel-pae, every time I update the kernel the system gets stuffed so I'll live without virtualbox. It really isn't worth the effort, I've already messed up my ATI radeon drivers because of a kernel update so if software can't live with the installed kernel I won't be using it in future.