Find the answer to your Linux question:
Somehow I sensed it -- one day something is gonna happen. Either I myself, or someone else may accidentaly tripped on some buttons and some set up may go haywire! ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Configuring Open Suse 11.4 for the internet

Somehow I sensed it -- one day something is gonna happen. Either I myself, or someone else may accidentaly tripped on some buttons and some set up may go haywire!

I got home one day and found my connection icon "lost". I right clicked, and was welcomed by a window that has a top pane asking for "wired/wireless/broadband....." my notebook (HP mini) has been running wireless, so on clicking "wireless" I saw my connection there. Clicked on 'Edit" and I was welcomed with 6 items. The first item is called "SSID", gave my connection -- ok, I know its the correct one, fortunately! The second item is called Mode and in the right box space was given 'Infrastructure'. Alternate ti it is 'Ad Hoc'. The third to 5th items respectively are, "BSSID", "Device MAC address", Cloned MAC address" which, obviously, I may need to specify and I dont have any clue as what to fill in, in the blank spaces, and help is needed and appreciated.
    The choice pane also have IPv4 and IPv6 settings. What are those? What I described in this para is what I saw on my HP mini. FYI, as of this moment, I am on this forum on my MAC machine.

I really wanna learn this Open Source thing. Hoping friends over this forum dont mind enlightening me - though this may sound very obvious to you all. May the Mighty One And Only, bless your responses.

I haven't looked at Network manager in a while. But I seem to remember an option to either
    1. Obtain an IP address automatically
    2. Use DHCP

They mean the same thing, incidentally. Unless you have your network setup to use manually assigned addresses, choose that. Everything else that you described can be left blank.
    I might be recalling this incorrectly. If so, disregard what I just said.

Quote Originally Posted by mhismail View Post
    The choice pane also have IPv4 and IPv6 settings. What are those?
    Those are the available options for what type of IP addressing scheme to use. IPv4 is the current standard, so is probably the best choice. Many folks find if beneficial to disable IPv6.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Hi,
    I did a bit of experimenting with my internet connection, a few days back, via the wired way, and I could see its an eth0 connection and I could get to the internet. I guess now I need to look for a place to get my wifi set up back in order. So it was nothing to do with the connection - as I understand it now.

To straighten my wifi connection, I believe the answers to the questions I posted previously may be the starting point.

Thanks.

Take a look through this thread: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/wir...tart-here.html
    You can run through the commands manually, or you can choose to use the script that is available in the second post.
    Post back to this thread with all requested information.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.