Find the answer to your Linux question:
Dear OpenSUSE experts, I just received a Dell T5500 workstation. When I tried to install OpenSUSE 12.1 64 bit OS on the computer using a DVD. The installation "froze" in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

installation failed

Dear OpenSUSE experts,

I just received a Dell T5500 workstation. When I tried to install OpenSUSE 12.1 64 bit OS on the computer using a DVD. The installation "froze" in the middle of copying files. When I tried to do a "media Test", I never got to see the testing screen, only the OpenSUSE splash screen.

I then tried an Ubuntu installation CD- it even did not get to installation window.

However, this computer came with MS Windows 7 installed, which, I wiped out during linux installation.

Any suggestion? graphics card is nVidia Quardo 5000. Could it be possible to the installer does not have driver for the graphics card?

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Pei-Ying Hsieh

Quote Originally Posted by phsieh2005 View Post
    When I tried to install OpenSUSE 12.1 64 bit OS on the computer using a DVD. The installation "froze" in the middle of copying files. When I tried to do a "media Test", I never got to see the testing screen, only the OpenSUSE splash screen.

I then tried an Ubuntu installation CD- it even did not get to installation window.

Any suggestion? graphics card is nVidia Quardo 5000. Could it be possible to the installer does not have driver for the graphics card?
    That's quite likely to be the problem. When an install freezes, it's usually a graphics problem. The solution is to do the install in text mode, where this is an available option. Once you have Linux installed, you can go about finding the driver you need.

I know that Ubuntu offers two installation discs: the standard one is purely graphical, the "alternative" one allows you to specify text mode. Many other distros give you the choice on the standard installation disc, and some install in text mode only (which is usually much more reliable).
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com