Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey everyone, I just installed openSUSE 12.1 on my netbook, and when I try to boot normally I get a kernel panic, with an error that looks like: udevd[107]: '/sbin/modprobe ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Kernel Panic in openSUSE 12.1 on Netbook

Hey everyone, I just installed openSUSE 12.1 on my netbook, and when I try to boot normally I get a kernel panic, with an error that looks like:
    udevd[107]: '/sbin/modprobe -bv pci:v00008086d00000BE1sv00001025sd0000061Fbc03sc00 i00' [110] terminated by signal 9 (Killed)

I am able to boot into failsafe just fine, except whenever I move the cursor in KDE, it tends to flicker. Perhaps it's some issue with the graphics card???

I hope someone can help. Thanks.

Linux Engineer
    I'd say try another distro and see if you have better results. Also check your BIOS settings against whatever SUSE might recommend.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzle View Post
    I'd say try another distro and see if you have better results. Also check your BIOS settings against whatever SUSE might recommend.
    Thanks for the reply. I have tried other distros, but even though I don't get a kernel panic in other distros, I still get the flickering cursor issue that I have when I boot into failsafe with openSUSE.

Also, the BIOS is pretty limited, so I would have no luck there.

And besides, I would prefer to use openSUSE since it is my favourite distribution. My guess is that the kernel panic is a driver issue, I'm just not sure where to start troubleshooting. :/

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Have you considered using a distro that ships with a lighter weight desktop, such as Xfce or LXDE? Recent releases of KDE are a little on the heavy side, and I'm not so sure they'd run well on a netbook.

Just Joined!

Question

Quote Originally Posted by mizzle View Post
    Have you considered using a distro that ships with a lighter weight desktop, such as Xfce or LXDE? Recent releases of KDE are a little on the heavy side, and I'm not so sure they'd run well on a netbook.
    KDE seems to run fine for me, I might consider a lighter weight desktop though once I get this problem resolved.

Anyways, I think I figured out what is going on. I believe it is the kernel module "hda-snd-intel" for my sound card which is keeping the kernel from fully loading. I tried to modprobe it manually as root under failsafe, but the command line just freezes.

Anyone know how to fix this?