Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
When i do a fast load i recieve an error stating that my Systemctl NetworkManager.service fails to load and upon doing some research i found that this is a common ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

I am a newer openSuSE user with a boot issue

When i do a fast load i recieve an error stating that my Systemctl NetworkManager.service fails to load and upon doing some research i found that this is a common error with the new distro and that there are many possible solutions to this problem however all the solutions require seem rather risky for a newbie (although veteran computer user in general). What would the community suggest as the best solution to this problem.

Also i tried to create a symbolic link between the /bin and /usr/bin directory and that failed

Linux Engineer
    Try a different release or distro.

Linux Newbie
    What do you mean?
    Downgrade to openSuSE 11.4 can i do that in place

Linux Engineer
    Sorry, I'm assuming you just installed this distro. My advice is to find a distro that works correctly 'out of the box' for new users.

Linux Newbie
    Oh that is perfectly OK. However i installed the distro about a month ago and i have put work into customizing somewhat to my liking and transferring all my data from my now deleted windows partition. So i am looking for more of a fix solution than a start over solution even if it means i have to get my hands dirty .

What do you mean by "fast load". Is there any real consequence or just a harmless error/warning message? Is network manager in fact, started and working?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Linux Newbie
    Excuse me a fast boot the first line printed to my system after choosing which O/S i want to load is "doing fast boot" followed by a listing of the system loading the kernel from the hard drive then services and drive mounting etc. That as the problem i do not know if there is a real consequence however after i log into my system and i open up a terminal and execute the command systemctl start NetworkManager.service i recieve a failure message saying that it can not start. However i am able to access the network and the internet.

NetworkManager.service should be started on boot. Try this command next time you reboot.

Code:
    /etc/init.d/network status
    If it isn't started then try
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/network restart
    please post the exact, if any, error messages.

EDIT: Use su or sudo, whichever your system uses
    Last edited by MikeTbob; 05-05-2012 at 10:41 PM. Reason: See EDIT:
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Linux Newbie
    How can i set my system to require me to authorize each step of the boot process because i can not read and comprehend the error message fast enough except for the big red lettered failed because my system boots too fast

Linux Newbie
    Well i tried that code and

I received this :
    Code:
    network.service - LSB: Configure the localfs depending network interfaces
              Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/network)
              Active: active (running) since Sat, 05 May 2012 16:36:05 -0500; 1h 10min ago
             Process: 1252 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/network start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
              CGroup: name=systemd:/system/network.service
                      ├ 2142 /sbin/dhclient6 -6 -cf /var/lib/dhcp6/dhclient6.eth0.conf -lf /var/lib/dhcp6/dhclient6.eth0.lease -pf /v...
                      └ 2906 /sbin/dhcpcd --netconfig -L -E -HHH -c /etc/sysconfig/network/scripts/dhcpcd-hook -t 0 -h linux-ew9u eth...
    However i used
    Code:
    systemctl status  NetworkManager.service
    and i recieved this
    Code:
    NetworkManager.service - Network Manager
              Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/NetworkManager.service; enabled)
              Active: failed since Sat, 05 May 2012 16:35:46 -0500; 1h 12min ago
             Process: 1585 ExecStartPre=/usr/bin/test x${NETWORKMANAGER} = xyes (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
              CGroup: name=systemd:/system/NetworkManager.service

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast