Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello! You have definetely seen topics like this and you will see more if you write it in google. But I can honestly say that I've read almost every post ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Uninstall / remove Linux

Hello! You have definetely seen topics like this and you will see more if you write it in google. But I can honestly say that I've read almost every post in web that is similar to this problem.
    Recently I bought a new laptop which had Linux OS. I had a Windows 7 installation CD at home so I decided to try Linux, but if I'm not satisfied, install Windows 7. Unfortunately Linux (to be more accurate - Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop 11) is not the OS for me, and I began to search through web different ways how to uninstall Linux, and it's a nightmare.
    Someone gives an advice but in the next site it appears to damage the computer, motherboard, and can crash everything possible.
    I have seen words liek "MBR", "hard drive partitions" and other ghosts (I'm new at computer stuff so it all looks to me like chinese language) that gives me an advice to use command prompt in Linux (to be honest, everything I tried to do with this thing just made it harder and harder). Codes, codes and codes, but no answer I could understand.
    Then I found a post which said to insert the Windows 7 installation CD, boot the computer and choose to boot it from DVD. I stopped to do anything at the step when Windows gave me a choice to install the OS at on of 6 partitions, not one of them allowed to install something related to Windows (nfts) files. And the next moment is this - when I'm asking to help, because I'm more than desperate right now.
    Already saying THANK YOU to every answer this post will get!
    P.S. Sorry for crashing with a question about uninstalling Linux in a Linux forum, but maybe you are more familiar with something like this than most of Windows OS users.

Hello and Welcome!

There's not really a need to "uninstall" Linux. Simply boot up with your Windows install disc, and install.
    The last version of Windows I installed was XP, so I'm sure a few things may have changed. But there used to be an option to use the entire disc.
    That should do the trick for you.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    "But there used to be an option to use the entire disc. That should do the trick for you."
    Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately I'm not able to see the entire hard drive in the list, there are a few partitions that don't support Windows installation files. I've read that it can be corrected by deleting and then formatting partitions. But I would like to find out in this discussion if it's safe to do something like that.

Since you're looking to wipe Linux off the system, that will be fine. It won't damage the drive or any of the hardware.
    Is there an option in the Windows installer to format the drive? That would do the trick.
    Failing that, there are Linux tools that you can download and burn to disk to handle that.
    My favorite is PartedMagic.
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

If you dont have any important data or files on your linux system, then you can just delete all partitons with the windows installer.
    Then create at least one partition for windows and let the installer do its thing.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Quote Originally Posted by Irithori View Post
    If you dont have any important data or files on your linux system, then you can just delete all partitons with the windows installer.
    Then create at least one partition for windows and let the installer do its thing.
    I kinda figured that was an option, but I know nothing about the Windows 7 installer.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Just Joined!
    Yes, that's true - there is no important files or information saved in Linux, so I'm interested in deleting everything. Gonna try what you suggested and write if that worked out well.

Before you wipe all your partitions, you should check to see if your PC manufacturer has a diagnostic partition. Dell usually installs one.

You can wipe this partition without hurting the machine, but it's sometimes convenient for diagnosing problems when your main OS won't boot properly, or where there is a hardware problem.

Check with your PC manufacturer's web site to find out if there is such a partition. If there is, keep that one and delete all the others. If there is no diagnostic partition, then feel free to blow them all away. Then (with either approach) tell Windows to create one large NTFS partition that fills all of the unused space on the drive and install itself there.

You shouldn't have to worry about things like MBR and boot loaders. The Windows installer will almost certainly install its own.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by shamino View Post
    Before you wipe all your partitions, you should check to see if your PC manufacturer has a diagnostic partition. Dell usually installs one.

You can wipe this partition without hurting the machine, but it's sometimes convenient for diagnosing problems when your main OS won't boot properly, or where there is a hardware problem.

Check with your PC manufacturer's web site to find out if there is such a partition. If there is, keep that one and delete all the others. If there is no diagnostic partition, then feel free to blow them all away. Then (with either approach) tell Windows to create one large NTFS partition that fills all of the unused space on the drive and install itself there.

You shouldn't have to worry about things like MBR and boot loaders. The Windows installer will almost certainly install its own.
    Thanks - everything went great!