Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi mates, Iīm having troubles with our LINUX SUSE 11. There is an error message, " listener_thread: err=-25582 oserr=0, network connection is broken." This began last saturday, and now itīs ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Weird db issue

Hi mates,

Iīm having troubles with our LINUX SUSE 11. There is an error message, " listener_thread: err=-25582 oserr=0, network connection is broken."

This began last saturday, and now itīs giving to me troubles with users, canīt connect.

I can ping the server continoulsy without packet lost, but I canīt access to the database application (it works but in intermittent way).

I already reset the entire server, but nothing. I know it could be related with network performance, I changed the server on another switch, nothing happen the problem remains.

I need heeelpp...pleaaseee..anything...

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    So, do you have gear between client and server (load balancer, firewall, rounter)?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    hi my friend,

first of all, thank you for your time and help. OK, there is a L3 switch which is connected to a L2 switch where all servers all connected.

So, the L3 switch has more connections to other L2 switches for users and also has connected a router for remote branches.

The server is running informix 11, which is our DB where users connect to it as client. When users start the application calling the DB, there are moments where the app works and suddenly it hanged, but it is intermittent.

Beside the first error, there is also another one which is:
    listener-thread err = -408 errstr = invalid message type receive from the sqlexec

I havenīt change anything on network, the L3 switch has static routes to connect server and client VLANīs.

Thanks....

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Ok. It sounds like something is corrupting your packets between client and server, If it is a problem with all clients, then either the server NIC or the switches are faulty. If only on one (or some) clients, then either it it the client's NIC or the switches between them and the server. Some tool like wireshark may be useful in narrowing the problem domain.

Just Joined!
    Hi,

Well I configured a backup server in one branch as the appserver until I figure out whatīs going on.

Now, I connected the server, and everything is working well. But there are only 10 - 11 machines starting the application on this server. I used wireshark and I see this:
    - There are many TCP checksum offload packets (I just disabled the checksum offload on the NIC). I will have to wait until 5 pm to change all machines and try a connection again to discard the checksum errors.
    - There are some packets showing a TCP retransmission suspected. Iīm still looking for possible solutions here....

Both packets are from the server to client machines. Traffic from client to server looks normal.

It sounds like either a switch (most likely) or router problem. Is their any chance to replace the switches, or rotate them? That may help illuminate the source of the problem.

Just Joined!
    Well...today Iīm going to change the L3 switch and prepare the scenario to enable the server tomorrow.

I was reading something about the ring buffer configured on each NIC...here is my server config:
    PRE SET MAXIMUMS
    RX: 1020
    RX MINI: 0
    RX JUMBO: 4080
    TX: 255

CURRENT HARDWARE SETT:
    RX: 255
    RX MINI: 0
    RX JUMBO: 0
    TX: 255

Should I change the RX features ??

thanks in advance for all your help....