Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
hello again.... i am using open suse at my home notebook with double screen. and i installed suse linux server one of my ex-desktops. but i can not connect server ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

vnc

hello again....

i am using open suse at my home notebook with double screen. and i installed suse linux server one of my ex-desktops. but i can not connect server from notebook with vnc. a gray screen comes.mouse move but can not do anything?

someone can something?

Trusted Penguin
    sounds like there is no window manager started (GNOME, KDE, fluxbox, etc.). How did you start the VNC server? Typically, a user has a ~/.vnc directory containing a file w/the vnc password, and an xstartup file, which controls how the server gets started. here's an example file:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    rxvt&
    exec fluxbox
    then the user would run something like:

Code:
    vncserver :1
    This would start a VNC server on display 1, and the rxvt terminal program would be started and fluxbox would be run as the window manager.

you can also look in the VNC log file, something like ~/.vnc/<server_name>:<disp_num>.log, to see what is going on.

Just Joined!

thanks...

i read somethings after my post...as i understood...it is consider about ports and firewall..
    but i do not understand when i started vncserver with ssh.it got 5906 port.
    but at documents, it must be get first 5901 then for every screen +1...
    why vncserver at my server side get 5906, can you say something?

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by viewer View Post
    i read somethings after my post...as i understood...it is consider about ports and firewall..
    but i do not understand when i started vncserver with ssh.it got 5906 port.
    but at documents, it must be get first 5901 then for every screen +1...
    why vncserver at my server side get 5906, can you say something?
    how are you starting the VNC server? are you using a start-up script that reads a config file containing parameters for multiple VNC servers to start? e.g. on RHEL/Fedora, etc., the file /etc/sysconfig/vncservers is used for this purpose.

5906 is equivalent to :6, when starting a vnc server, or when connecting via the vnc client.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    how are you starting the VNC server? are you using a start-up script that reads a config file containing parameters for multiple VNC servers to start? e.g. on RHEL/Fedora, etc., the file /etc/sysconfig/vncservers is used for this purpose.

5906 is equivalent to :6, when starting a vnc server, or when connecting via the vnc client.
    i used "vncserver -geometry 1024x768 -depth 16:1" at server side with ssh.
    when i did ps, i see this"Xvnc :4 -desktop X -httpd /usr/share/vnc/classes -auth /home/xxxx/.Xauthority -geometry 1024x768 -depth 16:1 -rfbwait 120000 -rfbauth /home/xxxx/.vnc/passwd"

edit 1 : i use open suse at notebook and suse linux server at desktop
    Last edited by viewer; 07-10-2012 at 11:21 PM.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by viewer View Post
    i used "vncserver -geometry 1024x768 -depth 16:1" at server side with ssh.
    when i did ps, i see this"Xvnc :4 -desktop X -httpd /usr/share/vnc/classes -auth /home/sina/.Xauthority -geometry 1024x768 -depth 16:1 -rfbwait 120000 -rfbauth /home/xxxx/.vnc/passwd"

edit 1 : i use open suse at notebook and suse linux server at desktop
    as you did not specify a display number in your vncserver number, then i believe it will automatically take the next display number available.

what do you see if you do this?
    Code:
     ps auxww|grep -v grep|egrep 'Xorg|Xvnc|X'
    maybe there are old pid files in your ~/.vnc directory?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    as you did not specify a display number in your vncserver number, then i believe it will automatically take the next display number available.

what do you see if you do this?
    Code:
     ps auxww|grep -v grep|egrep 'Xorg|Xvnc|X'
    maybe there are old pid files in your ~/.vnc directory?
    i tried your ps grep command. but there is not runing proccesing.
    i erased all pid and log files.

but when i worked vncserver command , always got 4 pid...

as i understood... there is 3 automatic vncserver with different geometry sizes (1024x768,1280x960...) at networking services on server yast (when i started a new vnc sesion, it get 4.pid)

and i gave permisons for 5901,5902,5903 ports...at firewall...
    but i get stil grey screen

Trusted Penguin
    this must have something to do w/the way SUSE is starting your VNC server. i don't have SUSE installed anywhere, so I can't easily root around for a cause.

however, look at post #62 in this thread and see if it applies to you.

As an aside, if VNC is controlled by xinetd on SUSE, i'm curious: is there any file matching /etc/xinetd.d/vnc* on your system? If so, what is in it?

also, a more basic trouble-shooting step: can you stop all VNC servers and just start one up manually, to see if you can connect to it? e.g.:

Code:
    vncserver :1

Just Joined!
    dear atreyu;

thanks for your intrest.....

i read million pages documents..but i can not find an exact explanation of this three pre vncs..
    and i do not want to concern so much with them...
    i solve my problem as
    1- i gave range 5901-5907 to firewall for vnc
    2-i started a new vnc server as 4
    3- connected with vncviewer to :4

it works normally....

best regards....

Trusted Penguin
    well, if it were me, I'd want to know where those "pre vncs" are coming from (and disable them if necessary)...but hey, as long as you are happy, that's what counts!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast