Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello everybody. my problem is with OpenSuse 12.1 Totem. I can't seem to play any videos. I'm using Totem Movie Player 3.2.1 GStreamer 0.10.35. It says that it doesn't have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Where to find Totem Mplayer codecs

hello everybody. my problem is with OpenSuse 12.1 Totem. I can't seem to play any videos. I'm using Totem Movie Player 3.2.1 GStreamer 0.10.35.
    It says that it doesn't have MPEG -1 Layer 3 (MP3) decoder and XVID MPEG -4 decoder. Can anybody help me solve this problem. Thanks in advance.

Trusted Penguin
    See this explanation of restricted formats on openSUSE's website:

http://en.opensuse.org/Restricted_formats

They offer some possible work arounds for getting MP3 playback going.

Just Joined!

Problem solved. VLC player instead of Totem...

I did that and it clearly suggested that i may have to purchase the codecs for Totem. Well, I just went for the alternative, I installed VLC player instead and it works fine. So that means that this problem is solved. at least for me. thanks for the reply. i really appreciate it.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by tybuzz View Post
    I did that and it clearly suggested that i may have to purchase the codecs for Totem. Well, I just went for the alternative, I installed VLC player instead and it works fine. So that means that this problem is solved. at least for me. thanks for the reply. i really appreciate it.
    Yeah, VLC rocks. I use it in both Windows and Linux, should have thought of mentioning that!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    Yeah, VLC rocks. I use it in both Windows and Linux, should have thought of mentioning that!
    i also have VLC on windows and linux and yeah it does rock simply because it works on both platform