Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm running OpenSuse 12.2 and am being notified of new updates but when I accept and apply, it only simulates the update, it won't install . Has anyone else come ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

OpenSuse 12.2 updating issue

I'm running OpenSuse 12.2 and am being notified of new updates but when I accept and apply, it only simulates the update, it won't install . Has anyone else come across the issue?
    LINUX: Where do you want to go.......Tomorrow!

Registered Linux user 396633

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by martinfromdublin View Post
    I'm running OpenSuse 12.2 and am being notified of new updates but when I accept and apply, it only simulates the update, it won't install . Has anyone else come across the issue?
    I haven't run across that problem.
    I have got rid of /usr/lib/packagekitd as it just got in the way of installing needed packages by any other means such as "zypper install <package>" where packagekitd can refuse all the attempts to be killed and allow zypper to work.
    I use "zypper ref" followed by "zypper dup" to keep my systems updated.

Just Joined!
    My problems after the update, from 12.1 to 12.2 is worse, in 12.1 didn't the X run and now doesn't zypper and X run. I get a library-problem, when I try to run zypper (had to modify the URL:s):
    Code:
    zypper refresh
    /usr/bin/uuidgen: /lib64/libuuid.so.1: no version information available (required by /usr/bin/uuidgen)
    Download (curl) error for 'http;//download.opensuse.org/distribution/12.2/repo/non-oss/content':
    Error code: Connection failed
    Error message: Could not resolve host: download.opensuse.org; Unknown error

ESC[2K^MAbort, retry, ignore? [a/r/i/?] (a): 
    Problem retrieving files from 'openSUSE-12.2-Non-Oss'.
    Download (curl) error for 'http;//download.opensuse.org/distribution/12.2/repo/non-oss/content':

Please see the above error message for a hint.
    Skipping repository 'openSUSE-12.2-Non-Oss' because of the above error.
    Download (curl) error for 'http;//download.opensuse.org/update/12.2-non-oss/repodata/repomd.xml':

ESC[2K^MAbort, retry, ignore? [a/r/i/?] (a): 
    Problem retrieving files from 'openSUSE-12.2-Update-Non-Oss'.
    Download (curl) error for 'http;//download.opensuse.org/update/12.2-non-oss/repodata/repomd.xml':
    Also tested yum, but that doesn't work either:
    Code:
    yum repolist
    http;//linuxdownload.adobe.com/linux/i386/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] PYCURL ERROR 6 - ""
    Trying other mirror.
    http;//download.opensuse.org/update/12.2/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] PYCURL ERROR 6 - ""
    Trying other mirror.
    repo id                                                                                                            repo name                                                                                                              status
    adobe-linux-i386                                                                                                   Adobe Systems Incorporated                                                                                             17
    openSUSE-12.2_12.2-1.4                                                                                             openSUSE-12.2-Update                                                                                                    0
    repo-12.2-non-oss                                                                                                  openSUSE-12.2-Non-Oss                                                                                                   0
    repo-12.2-non-oss-update                                                                                           openSUSE-12.2-Update-Non-Oss                                                                                            0
    repo-12.2-oss                                                                                                      openSUSE-12.2-OSS                                                                                                       0
    repo-12.2-update                                                                                                   openSUSE-12.2 Update-Oss                                                                                                0
    spotify-x86_64                                                                                                     Spotify LTD                                                                                                             0
    repolist: 17
    Thankful for suggestions!
    /Henrik

I know this is probably obvious, but have you tested your Internet connection and that DNS is working: ping router(default gateway) and external DNS servers (ping might not work because of DNS server firewall), use dig
    to update I use the terminal and enter sudo zypper update .

Linux Newbie
    Not sure what the "no version available" means.
    # ldd /usr/bin/uuidgen
    linux-vdso.so.1 (0x00007fff9a800000)
    libuuid.so.1 => /usr/lib64/libuuid.so.1 (0x00007f2973480000)
    libc.so.6 => /lib64/libc.so.6 (0x00007f29730d8000)
    /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00007f2973688000)
    # ldd /usr/lib64/libuuid.so.1.3.0
    linux-vdso.so.1 (0x00007fff477a0000)
    libc.so.6 => /lib64/libc.so.6 (0x00007f56a1338000)
    /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00007f56a1930000)
    The curl error:-
    "route -n" should give the gateway and /etc/resolv.conf should also have the gateway IP address in the form e.g "nameserver 192.168.x.y" in order to be able to resolve a host such as download.opensuse.org.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by dono725 View Post
    I know this is probably obvious, but have you tested your Internet connection and that DNS is working: ping router(default gateway) and external DNS servers (ping might not work because of DNS server firewall), use dig
    to update I use the terminal and enter sudo zypper update .
    You where right, I'm missing the network.
    The system can't start the network and stops in emergency mode, with a request for root:s password.
    The /etc/sysconfig/sysctl was missing, I made a copy from /etc/sysconfig/sysctl.rpmsave to /etc/sysconfig/sysctl, that wasn't enough, maybe a short step forward.
    I've tried to restart the network 'service network restart', it list some problems, stops for a couple of minutes and requests for root:s password.

I't tried both ordinary and failsafe boot, the difference are that the ordinary boot puts up a green screen with a frog and hangs for a couple of minutes.

There are no updated log-files, in /var/log.

Any suggestions?

/Henrik

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Siddly View Post
    Not sure what the "no version available" means.
    # ldd /usr/bin/uuidgen
    linux-vdso.so.1 (0x00007fff9a800000)
    libuuid.so.1 => /usr/lib64/libuuid.so.1 (0x00007f2973480000)
    libc.so.6 => /lib64/libc.so.6 (0x00007f29730d8000)
    /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00007f2973688000)
    # ldd /usr/lib64/libuuid.so.1.3.0
    linux-vdso.so.1 (0x00007fff477a0000)
    libc.so.6 => /lib64/libc.so.6 (0x00007f56a1338000)
    /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00007f56a1930000)
    The curl error:-
    "route -n" should give the gateway and /etc/resolv.conf should also have the gateway IP address in the form e.g "nameserver 192.168.x.y" in order to be able to resolve a host such as download.opensuse.org.
    The ldd:s gave the same result (I didn't check the hex-digits).

Just Joined!
    It might seem daft, but updates sometimes have problems in repalcing all previous files.
    Should you try a new install assumning your /home is safe and backed up?
    As you are in Dublin, you might get this month issue of Linux Magazine* which has OpenSUSE 12.2 files as a free DVD to solve any download problems. (*Issue 144 dqate line Nov 2012 )

For now this appears to be resolved . A single update came in for Zypper and after that the updates went through. So I'll keep an eye on it and if anything changes I post it here.
    LINUX: Where do you want to go.......Tomorrow!

Registered Linux user 396633

Just Joined!

12.2 updates. Something odd

1 Normally 12.2 updates ok.
    2. Yesterday, when downloading updates for last 12 days ona reserve computer, the update started to download then shut down in middle of download.
    3. This happened about 3 times, when actions repeated. No error sccreen just shutdown.
    4. When into recovery mode and downloaded after two attemps.
    I noticed it had YAST and kernal changes.
    Anyone else have problems with download.?