Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm running openSuSE 12.1 and VirtualBox 4.1.4. I installed windows 7 professional in Vbox then installed guest additions, added the USB devices in settings but when I go to Vbox ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

VirtualBox USB problems

I'm running openSuSE 12.1 and VirtualBox 4.1.4. I installed windows 7 professional in Vbox then installed guest additions, added the USB devices in settings but when I go to Vbox devices in seamless mode and the USB devices are there but faded and not available. Has anyone had success with USB devices.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I don't have any problems. I am running 4.1.22 on RHEL 6.x (Scientific Linux). So, you are saying that in the USB settings window, you have: 1 - enabled USB Controller, and 2 - enabled USB 2.0 (EHCI) Controller? Is your system using a USB 3.0 controller? I'm not sure that it is supported as yet (probably not). Most of the newest systems have both 2.0 and 3.0 controllers, so you might need to make sure you are connecting to the 2.0 ports.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Yeah I found out that I didn't enable USB 2.0. I downloaded the new version 4.2.0 rpm but I can never work out how to install rpm packages I've downloaded. So far I have been using the software manager that downloads the required files from repositories. I tried running them from the Download folder by double clicking but I think it is getting stuck because the license agreement isn't popping up. So it keeps trying to install until I cancel.

I was going to upgrade Vbox then install extension pack. Is there a repository that has the new Vbox. I haven't added any since installation.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You can either use the rpm command, or the regular package manager. What command do you use to install packages from the repository? Is it yum? You should be able to use that, but instead of a package name, use the rpm file name (including the trailing .rpm).
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!