Find the answer to your Linux question:
Need help urgently concerning the above. I have finally upgraded to 12.1 a couple of days ago, and I must say the process went on well, except for the part ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Root password gone after upgrade to Open SUSE 12.1

Need help urgently concerning the above.
    I have finally upgraded to 12.1 a couple of days ago, and I must say the process went on well, except for the part on the network setup. During the process not even once was I prompted about changing my root password. At he end of it all i was happy to see the 12.1 start page. It looks cute.
    Please help on this issue as I have some talk on my pen drive I need to go thru. However, I could not access the talks as it requests for the root authentication - the 12.1 DID NOT recognize the password i used with the 11.4 version.

Just Joined!
    type init=/bin/bash on the grub screen to boot as root without
    password, then use passwd to change you root password

Just Joined!
    Thanks Joseph, hmmm....grub screen. That term sent me searching via google and if my understanding was right, its the initial screen when i started my netbook. I could see the few legends about the F keys at the bottom of that screen. F5 is something to do with "init" and using it yielded me 4 choices; Default, systemd, systemv, and shell. I chose "shell" and something followed which I don't particularly understand. I DID NOT get the chance to change the password as you suggested.

However, every time I restart my netbook since then, seems to bypass the requirement for the root password. Another observation is that there were updates notifications appearing and as usual I would proceed to do the updates. In the process it requires the authentication password. And to my surprise the old password is now recognized!!!

Pls enlighten me on what had happened.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close