Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, what is the difference between SUSE LINUX and RED HAT Linux ? Which is the Better One ? What is the Latest Version of SUSE Linux ? Can anybody ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Diff..between SUSE Linux and REDHAT Linux ?

Hi,

what is the difference between SUSE LINUX and RED HAT Linux ?

Which is the Better One ?

What is the Latest Version of SUSE Linux ?

Can anybody provide me the Commands Used in SUSE LINUX ?

Commands List I need....Please...

Regards,
    Aparna.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by redhat70 View Post
    what is the difference between SUSE LINUX and RED HAT Linux ?
    Both are RPM-based. Both have Enterprise Level software and support. Both have free off-shoots (OpenSUSE and Fedora/CentOS/SL). They are more similar than they are different. However, regarding their free brethren, CentOS is much better as a free alternative to RHEL than OpenSUSE is to SLES.

One significant way in which they differ is that SUSE uses zypper and YAST on top of rpm and yum for package management.

Which is the Better One ?
    You'll be hard pressed to get a definitive answer on that one. As they are quite similar, it will ultimately end up being the subtle differences that matter only to you. Your best bet would be to download, install, and play with CentOS and OpenSUSE and make up your own mind.

What is the Latest Version of SUSE Linux ?
    The current version is SLES 11 SP2, released February 15, 2012

Can anybody provide me the Commands Used in SUSE LINUX ?

Commands List I need....Please...
    ls
    man
    pwd
    df
    ps
    sorry, couldn't resist. The commands are largely the same GNU user-space commands you will find in any other Linux distro. There will also be a host of applications that go with the Desktop Manager (GNOME, KDE, etc.), but again, you'll find most of the same apps on other distros with the same DM. There may be some SUSE-specific applications for administering your desktop or server (like the aforementioned YAST), but for those, just check out the SUSE documentation. The Deployment Guide is usually a good place to start.