Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have just upgraded to 12.1 and - I could see that 12.2 is already out. I still have a few unresolved applications in 12.1, as it is now. Will ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

12.2 open suse

I have just upgraded to 12.1 and - I could see that 12.2 is already out. I still have a few unresolved applications in 12.1, as it is now. Will it be really necessary for me to get 12.2 immediately or I can still do with 12.1 until such a time as 12.1 will no longer be supported - as in the case of 11.4 which became unsupported sometime in Sept 2012?

Thanks.

Just Joined!
    As an openSUSE user I recomand to upgrade to 12.2, a lot of new features, stability and speed impoved. It's more stable than 12.1 give it a try on a vm if you don't want to upgrade directly on your machine.

I concur, I'm using OpenSuse 12.2 & recommend it. You may have a few tweaks depending on your hardware but remember there's plenty of help here.
    LINUX: Where do you want to go.......Tomorrow!

Registered Linux user 396633

Just Joined!
    Thats very interesting guys. Thanks.
    Hwever, what is meant by "...give it a try on a vm ..."

Linux Guru
    Hwever, what is meant by "...give it a try on a vm ..."
    I expect virtual machine is what was meant. You could install Virtual Box in your 12.1 version and then install the new 12.2 in VirtualBox. Go to the site below for info on VBox:

https://www.virtualbox.org/

Just Joined!
    OMG, I think for the time being I will steer away from this VM thing. My primary concern is to be able to use Linux OS to do 'simple things' like e mail, visiting a few common websites such as FB, recording, listening to talks on MP3 format and burning to CD to share with family members and friends, occasional viewing of videos on you tube and the like.

Will take your advise and download 12.2 then. May be going 12.2 will somehow overcome some of the applications issues I am experiencing now!

SHould I live long enough, VM etc may come later!!

Lets consider this thread done and thanks to you guys for helping me understand a little more about thisissue of upgrading in open SUSE.

Just Joined!
    Hi guys,
    Its been a year plus since I was here on this forum. My apologies I have NOT been able to successfully download 12.2 but have been able to do the simple things I usually use Open SUSE on 12.1.
    Time and tech really fly away and now its13.1!! I will download 13.1 then. TQ all.