Find the answer to your Linux question:
on my SUSE platform, I make a link between files in /data1 and the current directory like ln -s /data1/xjc/data/prob/2012/*.Z . ,then I use ' guzip *.Z ' but the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation how to solve: Too many levels of symbolic links

on my SUSE platform, I make a link between files in /data1 and the current directory like ln -s /data1/xjc/data/prob/2012/*.Z .
    ,then I use 'guzip *.Z' but the error reports:
    gzip: *.Z: Too many levels of symbolic links.
    I check the files(*.Z) linked here and find I can read them but can not gunzip them.
    how can I deal with this problem?
    noticed that: /data1 is the directory parallel to /home /bin /data2 which has the different file system between them.
    but I have mkdir xjc/data/prob/2012 in /data1 with the right given by root.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by alex0516 View Post
    on my SUSE platform, I make a link between files in /data1 and the current directory like ln -s /data1/xjc/data/prob/2012/*.Z .
    ,then I use 'guzip *.Z' but the error reports:
    gzip: *.Z: Too many levels of symbolic links.
    I check the files(*.Z) linked here and find I can read them but can not gunzip them.
    how can I deal with this problem?
    noticed that: /data1 is the directory parallel to /home /bin /data2 which has the different file system between them.
    but I have mkdir xjc/data/prob/2012 in /data1 with the right given by root.
    Hello at first.

I think you should read the ln manual page. It seems you created as many symlinks for your .Z files as you have files. If it's really what you want, consider doing hardlinks instead of symlinks. Another way is linking the directory, not each file.

Just Joined!

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainDangeax View Post
    Hello at first.

I think you should read the ln manual page. It seems you created as many symlinks for your .Z files as you have files. If it's really what you want, consider doing hardlinks instead of symlinks. Another way is linking the directory, not each file.
    hardlinks is void when it is used for the different file system(like ext1, ext2, ext3 et.) I just informed I have mkdir ed /data1/xjc which lie in the different file system with my current directory.
    if I do ln -s /data1/xjc/data/prob/2012/somefile.Z . , it's also not successful unless it's red.
    can somebody give me a valid solution about the upper problem?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    hardlinks is void when it is used for the different file system(like ext1, ext2, ext3 et.) I just informed I have mkdir ed /data1/xjc which lie in the different file system with my current directory.
    if I do ln -s /data1/xjc/data/prob/2012/somefile.Z . , it's also not successful unless it's red.
    OK. Let me tell you something. People here are answering linux question for entertainment. Speaking with you is not entertaining at all. You're not polite, you don't know the words "hello" or "please". You explanation about your problem is at least confusing, and not complete at all because you didn't describe how your file system is built. You don't care my advice to read the man page. And I don't like the way you request with your
    Now, this being said, I don't want to speak with you anymore.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainDangeax View Post
    OK. Let me tell you something. People here are answering linux question for entertainment. Speaking with you is not entertaining at all. You're not polite, you don't know the words "hello" or "please". You explanation about your problem is at least confusing, and not complete at all because you didn't describe how your file system is built. You don't care my advice to read the man page. And I don't like the way you request with your .
    Now, this being said, I don't want to speak with you anymore.
    ok,although I make a confusing like you said , you should tell me to explain it more specifically. and you judged me as not polite. you are absolutely wrong ! I want to ask you how you can be on behalf of "people here". how dare you ?
    maybe my question is not so good, but the same to your answer.
    bye!

Linux Newbie
    ok,although I make a confusing like you said , you should tell me to explain it more specifically. and you judged me as not polite. you are absolutely wrong ! I want to ask you how you can be on behalf of "people here". how dare you ?
    maybe my question is not so good, but the same to your answer.
    bye!
    Still no "hello" world : I stay on my position. I also didn't give you orders, but only 3 advices :
    -consider hardlinks
    -consider linking the directory instead of each files.
    -RTFM
    In your angryness against yourself, you even didn't notice it.

Regards

Ps : if you had RTFM, you would have seen that the syntax you're using is incorrect, because when you write ln -s /somedir/*.Z . the second dot refers to the current directory while you're trying to link files. But maybe you're too smart to read the man page.

Linux Newbie
    alex0516.

I'm with the captain here. This is not a place to have childish rants against those who give their time and their expertise for free to try to help folks.

I, too, was confused as to exactly what it is you are trying to do and exactly what your error situation is and the captain told you that.

It is not clear to me what you want to exist in the target directory of "ln -s /data1/xjc/data/prob/2012/*.Z" . - if it's links to the uncompressed files, then uncompress in situ and link to them afterwards.

If you want copies of the uncompressed files, then no need for links. Just use "gunzip filename -c > target file".

If this does not help you, please accept my apologies and I ask you politely not to start raving at me. You will find that if you want people to help you, you will have a better chance of success if you avoid slagging them off. Please bear in mind that none of us has the problem you have and our aim here is simply to offer help.

Regards - VP