Find the answer to your Linux question:
I plugged a SATA drive into one of the free ports on my motherboard, and now I can't boot. I can get to emergency mode and even run "startx" to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Plugged New SATA Drive in, Can't Boot

I plugged a SATA drive into one of the free ports on my motherboard, and now I can't boot.

I can get to emergency mode and even run "startx" to get to the desktop, but that's just as the root user

This drive didn't have any OS on it; it was just an EXT4 with data.

Long story short, I can't remember which drives were plugged into which ports. But I do know that I now have my SuSE disk in the first SATA port. There are no other OS's in this system.

A friend had mentioned that I could refer my partitions by UUID instead of /dev/sda notation, and I found a thread here that shows how to do it:
    [SOLVED] how to use UUID on fstab and grub

...but the thing that confuses me is that I don't actually see any mention of /dev/sda partitions in /etc/fstab. Do I add them in manually, only as their UUIDs, and convert the other /dev's to UUIDs?

info.jpg

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by alexanderkmoore View Post
    ...but the thing that confuses me is that I don't actually see any mention of /dev/sda partitions in /etc/fstab. Do I add them in manually, only as their UUIDs, and convert the other /dev's to UUIDs?
    Hello

If you want to set your drives up in fstab to use UUID naming, check out the following two wiki articles in addition to the one you linked above:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/UUID

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fstab

They were written for Arch but should work on Suse as well, and they worked well for me when I configured my own. The first one basically explains the benefits and methods of persistent block device naming, but you'll find some fstab examples in the last link that might help you.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Nice. I was just reading the ArchWiki on fstab as you replied. Thanks for the links.
    Ok I'm going to give this a try now. It got really confusing last night when I had seven hard drives plugged into my computer haha

info2.jpg