Find the answer to your Linux question:
Every time I reboot my OpenSUSE 12.1 system, I get a Grub error 21, and it will not reboot. If I run Gordon Gibson's SpinRite for just a few minutes, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Grub error 21

Every time I reboot my OpenSUSE 12.1 system, I get a Grub error 21, and it will not reboot. If I run Gordon Gibson's SpinRite for just a few minutes, the problem is fixed, even though SpinRite reports no errors or fixes.

What is happening?

Linux Guru
    Grub error 21 means the selected disk does not exist. Since you haven't posted any information on your hardware, how long this has been happening, whether you were able to previously boot without problems, what you did or what may have happened immediately prior to this happening or how many drive/partitions/operating systems you have, there is really no way anyone can assist. Posting a few details like the above may help someone to help you. How old is your hardware?

Just Joined!
    The hardware is about 5 years old--An intel i7 Gateway FX machine. The disks report no SMART errors. And yes, I used to be able to boot, but this problem is about a year old now.

Linux Guru
    Is there any other operating system on this computer? If so, what is it? Can you boot it? How many hard drives are on the machine? Can you post drive/partition information by using a Linux Live CD to boot the system?