Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I hope someone can point me in the right direction here. I have run my PC, a Dell Precision 690, with Win 7 for 2 years and everything just ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Different linux distros keeps crashing on a PC runs windows fine

Hi, I hope someone can point me in the right direction here.

I have run my PC, a Dell Precision 690, with Win 7 for 2 years and everything just been fine.

I installed Ubuntu 12.10 64 bit last week, and it would crash within 10 mins. I got no error, the machine just acted sluggish for about 5 seconds whilst display bizarre blocks of garbage graphics on the screen then die.

So i installed Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit, which was slightly better but still crashed in the same manner. There is no pattern to it, it seems purely random

So today I installed OpenSuse 12.3 64 bit. All seemed great, I was running for 40 mins, but no! Then it crashed

All the same kind of crashes - sluggishness accompanied by messed up graphics all over the screen, then dies. No errors messages at all.

My graphics card is a NVidia Quadro FX 550.

So it I'm feeling now that pretty much any linux distro i put on this machine is going to have the same problem. I would prefer to run OpenSuse. I do not understand how a machine which runs Win 7 flawlessly keeps on crashing with linux.

Im a linux noob, so I have no idea what to do next.

Maybe there are some BIOS settings I could try changing?

Many thanks in advance for any help offered.

Just Joined!
    hi guys. I think I solved my problem, what I did was flash my BIOS to the latest version, and all seems to be running good