Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am no geek guy, but I have run nothing except one Linux oS or another since obtaining SimplyMepis with a book entitled "Point & Click Linux" quite a few ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

PDF's & OpenSUSE? Is this for real, or is it me?

I am no geek guy, but I have run nothing except one Linux oS or another since obtaining SimplyMepis with a book entitled "Point & Click Linux" quite a few years ago. I have had issues with many things in many distro's since then, but, I have always managed to find a solution.... Until now.

30 to 40 distro's and I have NEVER, NOT EVEN ONCE HAVE I HAD ANY issues/problems/anything with even the first PDF. Until now..... Matter of fact, this is the very first time that I have become so frustrated with anything that I have come to anybody or any forum anywhere for help/advice.

Does OpenSUSE have something against PDF's? Is it a Novell vs. Adobe thing? A remnant of the SCO vs. Linux conflict? I have been trying for 2 weeks to read even the first PDF from anywhere or anyone with absolutely zero success. I have downloaded and "successfully installed" at least 20 something pieces of software recommended by people who have experience with OpenSUSE and still, have yet to read the first PDF. It seems that nothing will open a PDF to be read/viewed regardless of any and all software selected to open any of them.

Would it be the more reasonable thing to do to simply go back to one of the U's or, damn, anything else? Or, maybe there is something my 60 year old brain is over looking?

I have asked a few folks I know who have run multiple distro's, and near as I can tell, it seems that this is an ongoing issue for OpenSUSE
    Is this so? Or, is it me? Am I missing something here?.

Other than the PDF issue, I do everything I want and I have a very nice system that I am quite happy with.But I need to be able to save and find and actually READ PDF's or I am going to have to lose the Suse.

It would seem that if SUSE/OpenSUSE want to be know as Linux for absolute beginners, and for widespread public adoption to ever have any chance for success, that the ability to read find and save PDF files would be an absolute prerequisite.

Anyway.... thanx in advance, even all y'all potentail flamers opinions, for having provided me with so much amusement over the past 10 or 11 years, yes, even all y'alls comments are most welcome. Thanx again.

Welcome to the forums.

Do you have the KDE or the Gnome desktop?

I use KDE and have never had an issue with okular reading PDFs. The Gnome equivalent is Evince though I've never used this one.
    Pete

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    openSUSE here with the Xfce desktop. Evince is working well even though it isn't shown in the menu by default. It's simple enough to add it in there by right clicking, selecting properties and editing the menu. Double clicking a PDF simply opens it in Evince in whether it is shown in the menu or not.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    I prefer KDE over Gnome, though I am apparently one of the few who actually likes "Unity".
    Nothing PDF works, period. My wife a "Director of Technical Services" for a State University had a few choice words for me regarding that thankfully at last she gets to show me that she actually knows something.
    She looked for PDF software and found that I have installed damn near anything that might be applicable. She download some PDF's and showed me that according to DL "manager" software, that they had all indeed been successfully DL'ed.
    "That's great! See all those other PDF files that have been "successfully DL'ed? Find just one". Nautilus says there are none to be found.
    I'm done with an otherwise great distro......
    I'm going back to Vector Linux...... Which for me, other than my now over 2 year old SimplyMepis, is the fastest most stable and everything just works right "out of the box" Linux I have yet to try....
    Thank y'all for your thoughts and time!

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I don't use Gnome but how are they being downloaded?
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Linux User
    Haven't used suse for a while, but you should be able to load/enable the adobe repository and get acroreader installed.
    Once installed, right clicking the file name should then give you the choice of what app to use to open it.
    If you still have problems, try running the live kde and see if it can open pdf files without any extra software. If it reads them ok, you have a problem with your installation.

Linux Newbie
    Been a SuSE user for many years. Currently using 12.2 with KDE.

Absolutely no problem with PDF files. I can read them with ocular, acroread and libre office. I can also create them with libre office.

You have some other problem than SuSE. Permissions?

Just Joined!
    The disc I installed from came with a Linux print mag..... I have this thing for printed on paper things
    It occurred to me that though it was a "sealed" copy, that maybe it was somehow "damaged" from printer to me. I had a friend DL and burn me a new copy and did a clean install.
    Everything now works "out of the box".