Find the answer to your Linux question:
Dear OpenSUSE experts, I have a Dell T5500 workstation. OpenSUSE 12.1 installed without any problem. However, when I tried to install OpenSUSE 12.3 from scratch, it failed. Actually, the screen ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

OpenSUSE 12.3 failed to install on Dell T5500

Dear OpenSUSE experts,

I have a Dell T5500 workstation. OpenSUSE 12.1 installed without any problem. However, when I tried to install OpenSUSE 12.3 from scratch, it failed. Actually, the screen went blank after booting into the DVD. I am wondering if anyone here can shed some light on this.

I have also tried the latest Kunbuntu, same problem. Even OpenSUSE Live DVD cannot start.

Thanks!

Pei-Ying

Linux Guru
    Posting some information on your hardware would be a good first step.
    Do you see anything after the initial BIOS screen? Just a black screen? Do you still have the Opensuse 12.1 CD/DVD you used to install? Try that and see if it boots. Might be a bad CD/DVD player or a loose connection or a bad download or a bad burn?

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    Posting some information on your hardware would be a good first step.
    Do you see anything after the initial BIOS screen? Just a black screen? Do you still have the Opensuse 12.1 CD/DVD you used to install? Try that and see if it boots. Might be a bad CD/DVD player or a loose connection or a bad download or a bad burn?
    Hi,

Thanks for the quick response!

This is a standard Dell T5500. Actually, I have 6 of them and all have problem with opensuse 12.2 and 12.3. So, I just wiped the hard drive and did a clean 12.1 install. No problem. I then updated 12.1 to the latest updates, then upgraded to 12.3 through the command line. All 12.3 updates completed (in 12.1 environment). After reboot, I saw the "doing fast boot" message on the screen, but, then failed to go to the graphical screen. So, somehow, opensuse 12.2/12.3 does not the basic graphical driver for nvidia I think.

By the way, the opensuse 12.3 DVD I used worked on other non-Dell T5500 machines.

Next step will be reinstalling 12.1, added nvidia repo for 12.3 and all 12.3 updates. Hopefully, the nvidia driver for 12.3 will be downloaded and installed.

Peiying

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close