Find the answer to your Linux question:
My Linux box crashed a few days ago, because of a power failure. This box has about 8 drives. On restart, Linux got stuck in the bootup at: "fsck: No ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux won't boot, bad harddrive

My Linux box crashed a few days ago, because of a power failure. This box has about 8 drives. On restart, Linux got stuck in the bootup at:
    "fsck: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-/AMCC-Ak811..."
    "fsck failed for at least one file system (not /)"
    "Give root password for login"

I lost a drive, so I rebooted, replaced the drive, fixed the bios and booted Linux. Linux got stuck with the same failure, same place.
    I gave the root password, init 5, entered YAST Partitioner, removed references to the dead drive, formatted the new drive, corrected everything, mounted the drives and everything seemed fine.

But when I had to reboot the machine, it got stuck at the same place in reboot ""fsck failed for at least one file system (not /)", giving the id of the dead (and removed) drive. I have neglected to remove a reference to the dead drive from somewhere that bootup fsck is checking.

Help.

Linux Guru
    "fsck: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-/AMCC-Ak811..."
    "fsck failed for at least one file system (not /)"
    Check the uuid for your partitions, should work with the blkid command. Then see which partition that is. The check your grub.cfg file (if you have grub2) and your /etc/fstab file to see that the correcti id is present.

Just Joined!
    FIXED!

The dead/removed drive was still in the fstab file.
    Thank you for your help!

Sincerely
    /blair