Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys, I was wondering how to configure Gnome and all my system settings (like two finger scrolling, main menu config, and shell extensions) to be the default for any ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Pre Configuring Gnome and system for all future and existing users.

Hey guys, I was wondering how to configure Gnome and all my system settings (like two finger scrolling, main menu config, and shell extensions) to be the default for any existing or future users. I'm running OpenSUSE 12.3 with Gnome 3.8 stable.

Thanks in advance.

Trusted Penguin
    hello and welcome, anfanator!

Take a look at openSUSE's KIWI Image System, one of the options there may be able to fit the bill.

Just Joined!
    Hi, Thanks for the reply. I read the link and KIWI does seem to make sense for what Im doing but I have no clue how to go about doing it so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks again.

Just Joined!
    And I'm not completely sure if this I related or not but now whenever I try and make a change like theme or wallpaper it becomes instantaneously in done. Any thoughts?

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by anfanator View Post
    Hi, Thanks for the reply. I read the link and KIWI does seem to make sense for what Im doing but I have no clue how to go about doing it so any help would be much appreciated.
    sorry, i don't use SuSE myself, so I can't speak from experience here. all i can recommend is to really read through the documentation. and be sitting at terminal, as root, ready to run commands as you read and understand them.

i will move this thread to the SuSE Linux forum though, as I think/hope it will get more appropriate looks there.

Just Joined!
    thanks for all your help but I think Gconf editor is what I was looking for.

Trusted Penguin
    oh, yeah, if you just wanted to edit the GNOME settings themselves, I would have suggested that originally - sorry! i thought you were after cloning your system, once you tweaked it.

note that if you want to script the GNOME settings easily, look into the gsettings command line tool - very useful.

if you find you need any help using gconf-editor, do post back. otherwise, you can mark this as Solved using the Thread Tools link at the top of the page (or we can do it for you).

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the links. I've gotten a fair ways on setting default and lockdown settings but I cant seem to manage; Setting default theme (gtk, shell and icon) also two finger scrolling as default with mouse, window focus mode with mouse not click, double click action bar to minimize, setting default fonts, having file manager handle desktop and showing trash icon, and lastly all my current gnome shell extensions and their settings.

I know this is an abnormally extensive list but help on even a few of these would be really appreciated!
    Thanks In advanced