Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Since I joined my new office, five years back, SUSE linux (10.1) was in use and is still running. Now i want to upgrade it to 12.3, Could you please ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Upgrading SUSE to 12.3

Since I joined my new office, five years back, SUSE linux (10.1) was in use and is still running. Now i want to upgrade it to 12.3, Could you please help, how should I start. The server has CD Drive, not DVD. Is there any thing to be backed up? It doesnot have GUI mode, when i try 'startx' , it gives error. How to backup with command promt. Please help. Thanks !!

Hi and welcome

In general, you want to backup
    - data (files, database dumps. etc)
    - config files
    - logfiles
    The specific files depend on the setup and purpose of your server.
    Be aware, that the configfiles potentially need adjustemt to newer versions and features of the daemons in suse 12.3.

Also: Imho you might want to build a parallel system on a new machine instead of upgrading the old one.
    - Older hardware is more errorprone
    - There is no service interruption while you migrate config and data
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!
    Thank you Irithori for your support.

My server is basically used as proxy and samba and I work only in these two small part of the huge linux, I really do not have idea on upgrading the system to 12.3. Could you please enlighten me with a step by step method to upgrade the SUSE 10.1 to 12.3 in a safe manner.

Best Regds,
    Dinesh

You will need to install from scratch anyway.
    Afaik there is no upgrade path over major versions.

And the safe manner is to start with a suse12.3 install on a new machine, leaving the suse10.1 in place.
    If the 12.3 is running, then you can copy over the smb.conf and adjust the system (paths, users, groups, authentication methods, permissions, etc)
    and also the proxy config (which proxy? squid? )

Once the two services are running on the new box, you can copy and sync the data.

Just Joined!
    Yes, it is squid and iptables.

According to your suggestion, I tried to copy all the data from the old server to an external hard drive of 500 GB via GUI(GNOME). It mounted but read only. I couldn't create folder inside it. I tried to change the permission but denied. What shall I do please??

Regds,
    Dinesh

Again: I would start with the install of suse12.3 on a new server and creating the config.
    Datasync is a secondary step, which I would probably do via network and rsync.

Just Joined!
    Thanks and I appreciate your suggestion. Recently there is no provision to get a new server in my office, however, it will be a bit later, may be after a month. Im afraid of losing data, i mean due to system crash or any thing like that as its very old server, I wanted to back up everything in the external hard drive to be safe.

Regds,
    Dinesh

Ok, this is now a different issue from upgrading.

For a fast and easy backup solution for one machine to an external storage my suggestion would be rsnapshot, triggered by a cronjob.
    rsnapshot
    rsnapshot is old, but imho quite useful.

Just Joined!
    Hi Irithori!!
    I've installed 12.3 in a new machine(not exactly) an already existing spare one. The installation went so smooth, when it rebooted, it displayed 'Error loading Operating system". Im unable t get inside it. Please help.
    Thanks

regds,
    Dinesh

Just Joined!
    I mean when it finished the installation and restarted, it simply couldn't boot from HDD, it dispalyed the erro in a black screen- error loading operating system.

I tried reinstalling 3 times. The .iso was okay, I got the disk checked. It was downloaded from software.opensuse.org.

During my fourth time installation, I choosed "Create Partition Setup" and "Custom Partitioning" and created own partition with the help of following link

dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10573557/12.1_install/06_partition_suggestion.jpg

dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10573557/12.1_install/07_partition_create.jpg

and got the work done!! ...................

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast