Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just picked up an Open Suse 11 NFS server. I can see /etc/sysconfig/nfs contains NFS4_SUPPORT="yes" and I know that there are other servers accessing NFS files. But a ps ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux NFS daemon

I just picked up an Open Suse 11 NFS server.
    I can see /etc/sysconfig/nfs contains NFS4_SUPPORT="yes" and I know that there are other servers accessing NFS files.

But a ps -ef | grep svcgssd on the NFS server does not show the daemon running.

Did I miss something ? what other process name should I check?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Try the command: service nfs start
    You have to run it as root, or sudo.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Try the command: service nfs start
    You have to run it as root, or sudo.
    Thanks for the quick response. NFS is my new responsibility. The box is currently in use.
    Can the command "service nfs start" cause any trouble or interruption if NFS is already running and in use. This is production and I want to be safe. The reason I am checking the processes is to make sure I know what should be running when the box is healthy.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You can run the command "service nfs status" to see if it is running. Doing a "service nfs start" when it is running should be a no-op. If you need to restart it because the daemon died, then you can do a "service nfs restart". That will clean up any detritus from previously and start it again from a clean slate.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!